Small Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple locations not showing in search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

The business "Jack's Wife Freda" in New York City has 2 locations, but only 1 shows up in a Google search rather than both showing and allowing the user to select from pins on a map.

Any idea why this may be? They both have different addresses and phone numbers listed.

Thanks a bunch!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple locations not showing in search

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Robbie G,

From doing a quick review, I do see that both locations are in the SERPs (search engine result pages) and that the 50 Carmine St, New York, NY 10014 location is showing the knowledge panel (large info box on right side of SERPs) for the general name. The knowledge panel is not something that we (as advertisers, owners or developers) can absolutely control and Google comes up with what is shown here. Very few listings overall have a map with locations and this is not something you can request to get... as you can only try to optimize the listings to better show. You can use the Google My Business API and feed all locations, which should get them listed properly. 

Further, let's take a look at the two: 

From looking over the two, I do see some differences with the listings.

• CS has the menu linked to the website, reservations at OT and orders at TC. 
  • LS has the menu linked to US, reservations at OT and no order link. 

I would have LS duplicate CS, since CS is showing a tad stronger association to the business website, which I think is what is having it show for the general business name. I would also do an audit of all NAP (name, address, phone) listings online. Run a search for each location and make a list of all of the listings across the web.

Once you do, I think you will find further elements that are a bit stronger leaning towards the CS location. Try and level them out. I would also edit the location pages of the website so that it listed the Name, Address and Phone Number fully for each location and add them in META tags, too, for each page/location. The website needs to be optimized more for being a two location website and each location page needs more location-based info. 

I would also have social pages for each location with buttons/links on their respective location webpages. And I would create G+ pages for them and link them to the website. 

I see the start of Google Analytics tracking info, but with UA-XXXXXX-XX as the code, which is no code at all. 

Once a small business creates a website, they must work on making that website a great user experience for visitors, which will make Google want to promote it more and do more for it. How do you do that? You provide a well-structured website with relevant content presented on a fast-loading and mobile-responsive, modern website. It also must not have errors or issues that harm a visitor or that prevents Google from crawling your website. 

You should also be using Google Analytics and Google Search Console to better understand what is happening with your website. 

Once Google Analytics & Search Console is reviewed, let's check up on your site speed, mobile-friendliness and some SEO (search engine optimization) stuff. Search Console will also show you error pages, which need to be addressed. Any of those should have 301 redirects set up for them.

1) Visit Google Search Console.

2) Use the Google Developers Speed Test and work on fixing the issues so that your score is 89 or higher for both mobile & desktop.

3) Rerun the Google Speed Test but use this tool instead. Make sure you have a mobile score of 100.

4) Run your site through this SEO score checker.

5) Visit Google Analytics and setup your website.

Utilize the steps as they are outlined. Visit #1 and dig into your website actions with Google. Use #2 to bring your score up and get any optimized content to download & use. Complete everything and then go to #3. Complete everything and go to step #4. Now go to step #5 and dig into what is actually happening with visitors and your website.

From here, you need to have a strong and consistent social presence that is updated with content related to your products & services... and each location. You need to utilize a local online presence by being listed on local directories (YP, BBB, etc.) for each location. And all of your online information needs to be consistent and correct.

All of this will be a continual process of repeating the above steps 2-3 times per month (or more) for the life of your business.  

Please let us know what you discover and enjoy the process.

King Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you SO MUCH for this James! Your response makes perfect sense. One other thing I should mention is that on random days, both locations appear in the knowledge panel. Then the next day it goes back to just being 1 location.

Is there a reason you can think of that it would jump back and forth? Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Robbie G,

You are very welcome.

It sounds like the Google Algorithm is crunching your info and trying to make best use of it. Keep doing what you are doing, use the info I provided and things will work out. 

Your listings look great overall and I will be sure to come eat if/when I make it to your neighborhood. Florida is not too far away from a great meal and fun time out.   

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again James! Hope to see you in NYC!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Very welcome!

Absolutely... looking forward to it.

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni
To some extent google search results for local businesses take into consideration the location of the person doing the search. That may be why only one location of this business is showing up for you. That would be the one closest to you when you do this search.

I could also suggest adding more directory listings on services such as yelp, Bing places for business and Apple Maps. A service like MOZ local Can create multiple listings for you at a reasonable cost.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mike, that makes sense! I'll try all the solutions that have been recommended. Thanks guys!