Small Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Domains for Same Website: Duplicate Content Issue?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, we are running a complex online strategy, i was wondering if it is reasonable or not suggested.

we have some content, with slightly different changes on several different domains, do you think we should keep working on the content of all of them or redirect them to only one website? or do you see other possibilities?

Thank you

Alberto

1 Expert replyverified_user

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

You are getting paid the same amount for content creation whether you create that content onsite or through additional, off site, sub-domain, etc., "landing pages"...

Why not do the right thing? What do you have to lose?

Tom

Re: Multiple Domains for Same Website: Duplicate Content Issue?

Google Small Business Advisor
# 3
Google Small Business Advisor

@Alberto F my suggestion is just to focus on building as much authority for your priority domain.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

What's the purpose of having multiple domains and what is the strategy you had in mind?

1. The focus of any website/domain should be to have valuable content that gives it reason to exist on it's own right.

2. The content on each site shouldn't be duplicated and each site should ideally have a unique, specific purpose.

If it's difficult to satisfy either of these criteria, then there might be a risk to rankings and 'penalty' (https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en) and if in doubt - as @BrandonSchaefer mentioned - you're probably best to focus and build credibility on a single domain.

If having duplicated content is unavoidable, considering using canonical URLs - https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066