Small Business
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile Site Roadblocks to Avoid

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Watch out for these hazards when building your mobile site. To see if your small business website is mobile-ready, test your site today. 

01 (22).png

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile Site Roadblocks to Avoid

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

The two seconds caught my attention. According to Amazon data, Big Concern!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Elizabeth,

thanks for the testing tool.

User friendly and speed are very important.

I see different speed/mobile friendly test pages from goog:

https://testmysite.thinkwithgoogle.com/?utm_source=GooglePlus&utm_medium=social&utm_content=June2&ut... (the one you mentioned)

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ (Pagespeed insights)

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/ (mobile friendly test)

Is there any difference between them ? 
Or do they all test in the same way ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello +Hugo W ,

Ran across this thread and I will also be interested in +Elizabeth Porter's reply.

I just wanted to share that I have used the link that was first shared and WOW! Great tool...

It combines the tests of the other two you shared and more!

What I really like is the detailed report option. If you choose, you can opt to receive a report that includes real solutions to better your scores. ( :

I discontinued the use of the other two testers as the one shared by +Elizabeth Porter does it all.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Awesome to hear that you found the Test My Site tool so useful, @David F! Were you surprised by your results? What do you think you need to work on the most to improve your website's mobile-friendliness?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello from my sick bed. Hope to be up and back at my desk by 5am PST.

Please know I am looking forward to further dialogue concerning my own site from one I consider to provide those like myself reliable and Google correct solutions of like concerns.

It is people like you that make time spent in the community invaluable.

I will gladly reply shortly...

Regards,

David

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello +Brielle B ,

I have replied to your questions "Were you surprised by your results?" and "What do you think you need to work on the most to improve your website's mobile-friendliness?", below.

Looking forward to any thoughts concerning areas of the report where it appears we may have reached the "most optimal" based solely on our current knowledge. 

Also, No, I was not surprised with our mobile score for friendliness. 

I can share that while a current 99 score was reported, I would really like to see 100. The test report brings attention to elements relating to "tap targets (e.g. buttons, links, or form fields) may be too small or too close together" which can be improved upon. 

That said... I did not find, any specific element(s) that I could conclude to be "too close to another" or any other related concerns.

Any ideas welcome?

The report also sheds light on what I personally consider a top priority, (i.e. not so much a direct ranking factor on its own, but more importantly, "user experience")

The current "MOBILE SPEED score of "74" is a concern and if we could get this to 100! We'll worth the time and effort.

I can also confirm to be aware of the "Website Visitor Drop Offs" being linked to slow rendering websites. Many like Google and Amazon have published findings supporting this element as one of importance.

To better explain the elements for which the report shows as less than optimal, I will share the following.

1) "Leverage browser caching"

As far as this element, I understand that we have made as optimal as our current knowledge will support. Any help with this is welcomed.

2)"Minify CSS"

The report does prove very useful here and brings attention to elements which we can improve on.

3) "Minify JavaScript"
Again we found, the report does prove very useful here and brings attention to elements which we can improve on.

4) "Minify HTML"

This element after careful review appears to be the most optimal using our current level of knowledge supporting this element.

5) "Optimize images"

Using this alert from the report, we did locate three images which will be further optimized.

6) "Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content"

The report has brought our attention to some of the most recent edits that have made on the website. It appears the addition of pictures can be better aligned to support a more optimal "mobile speed".

Conclusion: I see the new testing portal an improvement by a more comprehensive reporting.

NOTE: Should you see any opportunity for the website to employ "GOOGLE AMP"? I consider us on the cutting edge of this technology as far as deployment. We have written code for several websites. Not real sure if it was warranted quite yet? But, all the same, we do feel comfortable enabling should you see a benefit.

Thank you so +Brielle B much for any help you can provide us.

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Great questions, @David F! I think our Advisors would be the best people to help you out. I'll definitely make sure that they see your reply so you can get the answers you're looking for!

You might also be interested in checking out this helpful little guide written by Advisor @Trevor_Stewart: Mobile Optimization for Small Businesses: The Cheat Sheet

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Great, will read today...

Thank You!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I just wanted to share that I have used the link that was first shared and WOW! Great tool... It combines the tests of the other two you shared and more!
Hi David F, Your partially correct. But It seems the 'google speed insights' tool gives the exact same feedback as this tool. I did a test with the 2 tools for my page(s) The difference is the layout of the feedback. Regards Hugo W