Small Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

How to remove automatic hyperlinks in emails sent to Gmail

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have added email marketing to my marketing mix.  My email messages are being delivered, I'm seeing great click-throughs but I have one problem with Gmail.  Whenever a place a 10 digit number in an email message, e.g. account number, coupon code, it is converted into a clickable phone number only in messages received in mobile Gmail.

I am able to use code to stop this in iOS devices but not in Gmail.  I've tried every suggestion found in Google searches to disguise the numbers but they don't work.   Does Gmail have a tag I can use to tell it not to convert these numbers into links in mobile?  This would also be helpful for dates, addresses and URLs that are not meant to be links.

I now have someone complaining because a coupon code happened to match his cell phone number and he keeps calls from my email recipients.  Very poor user experience caused by Gmail.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to remove automatic hyperlinks in emails sent to Gmail

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Vinge,

I believe you would need to trick the system by coding any numbered strings.

<a href="#" style="color: #000000; text-decoration: none; pointer-events: none;">1234567891</a>

The hex color listed makes it black font, but you can use any hex color number here. 

Please test this and let us know how it works for your needs.

Kind Regards,

James