Small Business
3K members online now
3K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

How to recover a business disappearing from Google Search?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am an electrician that operates a one-man small business. To increase leads, I've been signing up for various referral sites like Amazon Services, ProReferral (Home Depot), Angieslist, etc. The majority of sites are free to sign up, and it's been helping a lot. One site - that I actually paid for - is called HomeAdvisor.com. They pitched me about extending the visibility and reach of my company by providing my info to even more referral sites. They did follow through on the listing part - however they decided to provide a different phone number, and sometimes different address, to each site that they listed me on (e.g. not my actual business phone number, but their own number that would then forward calls to me). Due to the diversity of this information, I think that I'm appearing to Google Search as spam, and I've noticed that this has severely affected my appearance in Google Search. Sadly, there are also almost a hundred of these listings. I have cancelled my subscription with HomeAdvisor, but I fear that the damage is already done. Does anyone have advice how I can recover my credibility to Google and myself back to where I was in search pre-HomeAdvisor?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to recover a business disappearing from Google Search?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi there @Jeremee P,
Have you claimed your business listing on Google? You can get started here, and make sure to fill your profile out completely. That's the single best thing you can do to help get your business found on Google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @GoogleSmallBiz,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the business was claimed as a business listing
on Google a few years ago. It was doing okay on search results (e.g. it
would come up in the top 3 search results if you googled my Business Name;
it would come up on search if you googled Electrician + Zip Code In Which I
am Located). But since I signed up with this HomeAdvisor site, it literally
started disappearing, which I attribute to that company re-listing me on
dozens of other sites under errant phone numbers / addresses. I have tried
to call those companies, asking them to change my information, but it's
been quite the task trying to get hold of the right people so far
unfortunately. I am really at a loss of what to do next.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jeremee,

NAP stands for Name, Address, Phone Number. NAP is critical for businesses wishing to rank well in the local organic search results, because search engines like Google take the data into account when determining which companies to show for geo-targeted searches. What can businesses do with their NAP to boost their local search rankings?

For starters, make sure that your NAP is correct – both on your website as well as on other sites throughout the web. Local SEO experts believe that Google and the other search engines cross-reference your NAP information across a variety of websites as a validation that you are a legitimate business. For example, it’s incredibly unlikely that a “made for SEO spam site” (i.e. not a real business) is going to have a physical address listed on their website let alone consistent NAP information on sites ranging from local directories and Yelp to the Internet Yellow Pages. The more “local citations” you can build up with consistent NAP information, the better.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
oh and as far as how you can do it, there are SEO services that can fix this. Our company offers it, just message me privately for more information if that is something that you are interested in. If you want to do it your self, i know it can seem daunting but just make sure you are completely filling out the information and make sure you are consistent across the board.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni
I have never heard of the company that you mention but if they are doing would you describe that is definitely bad practice as one of the most fundamental rules of creating a presence on local directory sites is to have your information be consistent across all of the sites especially your business name address and phone number. The only reason for the company to be doing things the way you describe is so that they could show you exactly how much traffic is coming to you via their service and while that may make sense for their perspective they are hurting their customers in order to elevate themselves.

If all of these bad listings can be edited by you then that is what you should do. Replace all the in accurate information with your real information . If this is not possible then , assuming all the listings contain a link to your website , you could disavow the listings as back links two years site using the disavow tool in google search Consol

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni
This story is a good morning to other businesses not to fall prey to everyone who is calling or emailing them pushing web services. Everyone is not a Web expert and all services are not created equal.

In your case I could recommend creating a profile on houss.comand I know Lowes home-improvement works with a referral site that you didn't list so that could be another one for you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As a consumer I had a bad experience with Home Adviser - and I had thought they were a quality service. I needed to have my house painted and called someone based on a search result to get a quote. Turns out it was a Home Adviser operated who tried referring me to someone else - someone hundreds of miles away! Umm no. I did track down the real person I was trying to call and he wound up with the best quote and did a great job.

I agree with the other comments on how to fix this though. Make sure it's YOUR number and address being advertised, always. As the old/bad listings age, your real ones will float back to the top. Also encourage happy clients to leave reviews on your maps listing, add photos, etc. In other words be active on the real listing!