Small Business
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

How often do you share new blog content?

Google Small Business Advisor
# 1
Google Small Business Advisor

Along with how often you share new blog content, do you see any increase in sales after you publish the content?

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hubspot published some interesting stats on this in a correlation study done last year.

Whilst correlation doesn't mean a 'cause and effect' relationship, there are some interesting findings in there.

Spoiler: Apparently the magic number is 16 times a month. Though I'm not sure how realistic this is for most smaller businesses?

Also seen other articles recommending a sweet spot of around once a week to really shine and see results.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unless you have a strong audience in a "sales friendly" industry, is it realistic to see an increase in sales after you publish new content? For example, if I sell T-Shirts or Fitness products (which everyone does today), it's much easier to generate content about a new product, share and impact sales, than it is for a Medical Billing Software company to generate content with an impact on sales.

The Medical Billing Software company's objective is to generate content in relation to what their target audience is looking for; ie SEO. In essence, long-tail keyword research and trends dictate their content and it's probably unrealistic to develop that kind of content from a small business at a rate of more than 2 per month. Doctor's and/or Medical Practice owner's aren't specifically following Medical Billing Software companies to buy thousands of dollars of software and services because a company blogged. But, when said Doctor's and/or Medical Practice owner's are ready to make a buying decision, you want to be setup to capture the lead when they start scouring the internet.

On the flip side, in relation to a Fitness Product company (or any company with a consumer product to sell), it's fairly easy to build an audience. While it's not an overnight thing, I think we can all agree it's not difficult. Generating content at a rate of once per week is fairly easy. Distributing the content across your mediums as you build your audience is just another beneficial tool to HELP build your audience further, and impacting immediate sales is the end result, which will continue to grow as your audience grows. Consumers love to follow that kind of "stuff".

TLDR; Your industry dictates your content schedule and sales data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Brandon, I publish content twice a week, a 1,000-word cricket article on a Tuesday and Friday. I don't see sales increases as I'm an editorial website based on site partnerships and sponsored articles but there's spikes in traffic and social media sharing and there's a talkng point to potential advertisers off the back of more successful articles.

I tussle with the notion of shorter articles due to the time it would save and typical surfing habits but longer-form is my niche.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Good points here @Jason S.

You're absolutely right - it's essential to consider your industry and target audience, as well as your overall goals so you can identify 'what success looks like'. This advice is applicable to any type of content marketing (and also traditional marketing) strategy across other content types as well as blogging - EDMs, Social Media, Whitepapers, Podcasts, Videos etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No so far no respond receives