Small Business
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

How To Add Updated Images To Google Street View

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I have seen this question over and over again, "how can I change Google Street View Images?". Truth is you can not have Google Street View images taken by the Google Car removed. However you can add images and Photospheres that you take so that visitors can see updated versions of the local scenery.

To add images to Google Street View you need to either do it through Google Maps and create a new place or edit an existing place. Or you can add images to your verified Google My Business page. These images will also appear on Google Maps Street View when someone looks for your site.

In the video above I go to two local businesses. They are both new and occupy locations that used to be other businesses, I do the work on site to create photospheres for both businesses as well as taking still images and creating the place listings for them on Google Maps.

Hopefully this helps those who are trying to do this.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How To Add Updated Images To Google Street View

Google Small Business Advisor
# 2
Google Small Business Advisor

@MikeJohnston - great explanation. Thanks.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Excellent info, @MikeJohnston. What about business owners who want a non-Street View photo of their business removed? I've noticed some business listings with junky photos that were added by strangers and I'm sure business owners would love to see those taken down!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Thank you @Brielle_B. If the offending photo does not violate Google's guidelines you probably can't get it removed. However if someone tell that a photo of their business uploaded on Google places does Violet Google's terms there is a process they could go through to try to get it removed. You could find more information at this link . https://support.google.com/business/answer/6190090?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I sometimes get the feeling that one part of Google doesn't know what other parts are doing. Google is positively encouraging people to upload images of businesses to Google Maps via the Local Guides programme, which is highly 'gamified' with points awarded for uploaded images (and there is another Lithium community for it at www.localguidesconnect.com). There are spammers who promote their own businesses abusing the function to upload images. I believe Google My Business Community has had many questions from business owners about low-quality or wrong images being attributed to their businesses. And it's not only low-quality user-generated content that is problematic, but also images pulled from Google Image Search of dubious relevancy and accuracy.

As for user-generated images, https://support.google.com/local-guides/answer/2622994 states as follows:

Photos that are uploaded to business pages should also be relevant to the business represented by the page. Specifically, they should:

• Not merely be text, unless it's relevant to the place. For example, the restaurant menu or a photo of the shop front with large fonts would be permitted.
  • Not be copyrighted, unless uploaded with permission of the copyright owner
  • Be of respectable quality. Photos that are overly blurry, noisy, rotated or too dark may be removed.

What is overly blurry? My impression is that images are removed in clear-cut cases, but they otherwise tend to stay: blurry isn't a sufficient ground for removal, it must be overly so. Business owners may have to upload as many high-quality images as possible to drown out the low-quality images that Google won't remove. Even then, Google might associate an inappropriate (at least from business owners' perspective) image with the business entity in search, cards, etc.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I'm sure this kind of thing does happen sometimes. For the vast majority of businesses though I doubt that this will be a concern and I personally can't recall having seen it to the degree that you described. It's definitely something for Google to work on as they continue to improve the product.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What about Street View inside pictures from Virtual Tours that are paid for? I had a virtual tour made and I accepted the transfer of the photo right but the images doesn't show up anywhere in my account. How do I remove them when they are out of date?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Mike, what if I want to add OR replace photospheres to an existing Google Street View virtual tour? The images will start showing as out of order for larger projects I would presume.

But I guess the real question is: Is it even possible to add new photospheres to REPLACE or SUPPLEMENT an existing Google Street View virtual tour?

Loving your work, keep it up!