Small Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Google wrongly says website has dangerous links

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If anyone looks at the 'Google Transparency Report' 'Safe Browsing Site State' for our website it says - wrongly and libellously:

"Some pages on this website send visitors to the following dangerous websites: taxispaco[.]es"

It's a lie.  Our website does not link to to taxispaco[.]es - it does not now and it never has done in the past.

At the beginning of the month it did link to the website of the British Veterinary Chiropractic Association (that's not us and the BVCA is not connected with us, it's just that we had an article on our website about working as an animal chiropractor and we included a link to the bvca-uk[.]org website), and it looks like the BVCA website has been hacked and includes dodgy links - I'm guessing their site now includes links to taxispaco[.]es   And because we had a link to bvca-uk[.]org, Google labelled our site as 'malware' and Chrome users got the big red MALWARE! screen when they tried to visit our site.

We deleted the link to bvca-uk[.]org, and used google.com/webmasters/tool to request a review of our site, and Google took us off the 'malware' list.  But, two weeks on and the 'Google Transparency Report' 'Safe Browsing Site State' for our site still says: 

"Some pages on this website send visitors to the following dangerous websites: taxispaco[.]es"

But the webmaster tools for our site says, "currently, we haven't detected any security issues with your site's content", and because of that there is no 'request a review' link with which I could get Google to take another look at the site and stop defaming us.  I spent 25 minutes on the phone today to various Google numbers - all completely to no avail.  So far as everyone I spoke to is concerned, it is someone else's problem.

We spend quite a bit with Google through the year, but currently the MD says no Google spend whatsoever while there is a Google safe-browsing report that is a) untrue, and b) injurious to our reputation.

So how do we get Google to correct our website assessment on their  'Safe Browsing Site State' report?

Richard

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google wrongly says website has dangerous links

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @Richard H, welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of the frustration you've experienced in trying to get your business website cleared for Safe Browsing. I know you stated that you have contacted Google already regarding this message, but there may still be some helpful resources available in this guide:

I would recommend creating a thread in the Google Webmasters Central Help Forum, as they have many experts who can better provide information and troubleshooting advice to get your website cleared. You can visit the forum here:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Brielle B, thanks for the response.

Yes, 'request a review' would seem the logical way to go.  I tried that, and various others along the way have suggested it too.  You and I and they all think that if Google is wrongly saying that my website has dangerous links, I ought to be able to go the the 'Security Issues' section in webmaster tools and request a review so that someone at Google can correct the mistake.  But it's not possible to do that.  Here's why:

If I go in webmaster tools to https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/security-issues?pli=1&siteUrl=http://mysite.com/ , if it were on the Google Safe Browse list of dangerous sites, there would be a button that says [REQUEST A REVIEW].  But my site isn't on the Google Safe Browse list of dangerous sites ( https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/safebrowsing/diagnostic/index.html?hl=en-GB#url=http://mys... says "Current status: Not dangerous. Safe Browsing has not recently seen malicious content on mysite.com." ), so there is no button for 'request a review'.  I guess the person who coded that page thought, "why would someone want a review when the site status is 'not dangerous'?"  The reason why, as per my previous, is that although the 'transparency report' is saying my site is 'not dangerous', it is also saying "Some pages on this website send visitors to the following dangerous websites: taxispaco[.]es", which is untrue, and injurious to the reputation of my business.  But in this situation the Google webmaster page has no 'request a review' button to click to get that untrue and unhelpful stain on my reputation removed.

> I would recommend creating a thread in the Google Webmasters Central Help Forum,

I will try that, thank you.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Care to share the URL of your site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not really, @MikeJohnston , because that increases the surface area of the misinformation about my site.  But if there's something you'd like me to try and tell you the result, go ahead and I'll be happy to let you know.  Rich.

[ Edited ]
Google Small Business Advisor
# 6
Google Small Business Advisor

Richard,

I'm a fellow Google Small Business Advisor in the GSB community with Mike and the others. Pleased to meet you. 

Have you searched Google itself to potentially see the specific results showing up as malware links?

Also, regarding Mike's request, can you mask your domain as you did with the other domains by parsing them as non-domains (www dot mydoman dot com, or something like that). That would not increase your "surface area" at all. In this way, Mike and the other GSB Advisors may be able to help you better.

Best,

Ray S.

Re: Google wrongly says website has dangerous links

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ray

Thanks for the response.  We've been trying a few other things meanwhile, all to no avail.  

Mostly I've not got responses from Google.  Where I have got responses (I am grateful for any and all, including yours), they are mostly along the lines of "Give us more information so that we can tell you what's wrong with your site."  The idea that this might be a problem at the Google end does not seem to be considered as a possibility at all.  So if it is a problem with Google (as I have very good reason to believe), that approach gets us nowhere.  

But if there are tests I could carry out and let you know the results, by all means please let me know and I'll be happy to do them and let you know what I get.

We have two websites affected by this now.  One of which now has just one (1) static html page with no links at all -not even to any graphics, or a CSS file, or anything.  Yet still the Transparency Report says "Some pages on this website send visitors to the following dangerous websites: taxispaco[dot]es."  I don't know what else I have to do to convince Google that this is WRONG, and/or get Google to review this.  I think it is up to Google to show that it is right (it can't be, BTW), by saying what page (erm, there is only one page) does the linking.  Google Webmaster Tools for the site confirms there is *no* link to anything harmful.

> Have you searched Google itself to potentially see 

> the specific results showing up as malware links?

Google is an awfully big thing to search.  Can you be more specific, please?  My site is (let's say) foo.com, and Google Safe Browsing Site Status says "Some pages on this website send visitors to the following dangerous websites: taxispaco[dot]es."  What do you suggest I search for?

Thank you.

Rich