Small Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Best way to migrate a blog into my new site while transferring the "juice" from the blog's URL?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello fellow marketers,

I have a WordPress blog on a myblog.wordpress.com URL with decent traffic stats, but I want to migrate this blog into a new www.mywebsite.com/blog URL as part of the SEO efforts I am doing in order to drive more conversions to my site.

The thing is that the blog has better ranking on Google than my own site does. Hence, I would like to leverage that (I understand this is "transferring the juice", or authority, in SEO parlance). So far I have seen that I could, for a premium fee, either "map a domain" or "redirect to a new domain name" (is that a 301 redirect?); but I wonder if any of these are adequate ways to achieve my purpose--or if there is some other better way.

I would love to read some advice. Thank you in advance,

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alejandro B
August 2016

Re: Best way to migrate a blog into my new site while transferring the "juice" from the blog's URL?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Alejandro B,

The standard practice is to add a 301 redirect, which is done for free within your hosting package or on the server. This allows an old URL to point to a new URL.

And WordPress offers a domain mapping solution, but they do not support moving a sub-domain (what you have now) to a sub-directory (what you are wanting to do). They can move your WordPress blog to your website as a sub-domain but without the www so your blog/website would become blog.mywebsite.com. This is still not ideal, but could work. 

Personally, I would want my blog to be connected to my website, no matter how, over having them separated. You would need to decide if the end results serves your purpose and is acceptable to you.  

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alejandro B
August 2016

Re: Best way to migrate a blog into my new site while transferring the "juice" from the blog's URL?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Alejandro B,

The standard practice is to add a 301 redirect, which is done for free within your hosting package or on the server. This allows an old URL to point to a new URL.

And WordPress offers a domain mapping solution, but they do not support moving a sub-domain (what you have now) to a sub-directory (what you are wanting to do). They can move your WordPress blog to your website as a sub-domain but without the www so your blog/website would become blog.mywebsite.com. This is still not ideal, but could work. 

Personally, I would want my blog to be connected to my website, no matter how, over having them separated. You would need to decide if the end results serves your purpose and is acceptable to you.  

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni
Aside from what J Clemens said another option, which is probably not the best option, is to keep your existing word press hosted blog and simply added the URL as a menu item On your website. Conversely to do it right you should also then duplicate your whole website menu on the blog that way it all seems to be part of a single unit.