Small Business
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Backlinks Not Appearing in Backlink Watch & Open Site Explorer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the place to post this but, here goes.

I have been working on an SEO campaign for a business and been creating backlinks for a few months now. I can see many of these links when I do a Google search, but they don't show up in tools such as Backlink Watch and Open Site Explorer. Now I understand that these tools are not the most up-to-date in terms of the results they throw up, but would surely have picked up link data from 8-10 months ago, right?

Does anyone have any explanations or can anyone suggest a direction for further investigation?

On a related note, we had a similar issue with a client that was 3-4 years old, so a link profile had been built over 3-4 years - but the links didn't show on Backlink Watch or Open Site Explorer. The client suddenly dropped to page 3, then left us after we tried for 8 months to get them back but only managed page 2 and then Boom! Two months after leaving us, they were back on page 1, no apparent changes to the website and the links now started showing in Backlink Watch and Open Site Explorer.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Dr James K,

This is not the right community for SEO questions regarding back links... but as a web developer, I will add some help for you.

1) Google Webmaster Central Help Forum covers all of this info and is the place you will enjoy.  

2) If you want to know what Google knows about your website, you use the official Google product from doing so... Google Search Console / Webmaster. Inside of this system, you would go to search traffic, links to your website. This is what Google knows about links to your website.

The websites you quote are not Google products and have no validity in any conversations here. They are not needed in any respect to understanding Google's view of any website. Google Search Console does this well. 

3) Link building comes with many risks and varying success. If your client's website gets identified as one that is building links in a fashion that is not so natural, it could get pushed way down in the SERPs (search engine result pages). If it identified as utilizing any link building spam techniques, it could get removed completely from the SERPs.

SEO is no longer about link building in the way it was in years past. You will not place and keep any website high up on page one of the SERPs via link building techniques. You do so by providing a modern, smartly-coded website that loads ultra-fast and is mobile responsive. With this in place, you now provide quality, original content that is correctly structured.

All of this is laid out in Google's Best Practices for website design, which trumps old school SEO tactics.  

I hope this information finds you well.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

Thank you very much for the information. Appreciate the help.

Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Dr James K,

You are very welcome, sir. 

All the Best,

James