Small Business
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

5 Easy Ways to Get Customer Reviews

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

5 Easy Ways to Get Customer Reviews

Referrals are a major source of business for all small businesses, so how can you get your customers to take the time to leave you honest online reviews?

Ask them when they’re in front of you

Before a satisfied customer leaves your store, ask them if they had a few minutes to leave feedback about their experience. One way to do this is having a dedicated computer or tablet that has the review page bookmarked.

Use an email sign-up list

Not all of your customers will be able to take the time to leave a review in the store. With an email sign-up list, you can reach out to your existing and new customers shortly after they make a purchase. If they mentioned that they would post a review when they got a chance, you can use this as a gentle reminder, linking to your preferred review site.

Put review links on receipts

Even if your customer opts for an e-mail or mobile receipt in lieu of a paper receipt, include a link with a request for review of their experience on the receipt.

Include the link for reviews on your website

Your customers, old and new, will be visiting your website, so make it easy for them to find a place to leave their feedback.

Pay attention and respond to reviews

Prospective customers will pay attention to how you respond to past reviews, both positive and negative. Don’t forget to respond to each review to show your appreciation to your customers who took the time to leave it.

Originally published July, 2014

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 5 Easy Ways to Get Customer Reviews

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi all you Business Owners.

I would just like to clarify one point @Brielle B made, so as not to lead to any confusion.

Ask them when they’re in front of you

Before a satisfied customer leaves your store, ask them if they had a few minutes to leave feedback about their experience. One way to do this is having a dedicated computer or tablet that has the review page bookmarked.

The review page that you have bookmarked, can be your own websites review page or other review sites, but this should NOT be your Google Business Page.

Google My Business review guidelines state that, you should not request reviews of your business at your place of business.

If you're a business owner, don't set up review stations or kiosks at your place of business just to ask for reviews written at your place of business

Google My Business Review Guidelines:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/2622994

Sec 6 : Conflict of Interest.

If you have any Google MY Business specific questions, head over to the GMB help forum:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB

Tim Capper
Google My Business Top Contributor (UK) and SEO consultant at Online Ownership

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership