Small Business
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

2 businesses using the same address or a suite 100 version of same address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I recently starting doing marketing/webmaster services for a friends new e-commerce website. He owns two companies: a brick and mortar showroom store that does construction work for clients, and a newly launched e-commerce website that resells the equipment from the distributors. 

The address currently registered to the e-commerce store is a virtual office, but I would like to get the address of the e-commerce store to show up as the same location as the brick and mortar store because people are wanting to come in and look at the equipment before purchasing online (We actually had someone show up to our virtual office trying to look at grills). Since our products are at a pretty high price point($1000-$12,000 grills and high-end outdoor appliances) and the website is brand new I think this would help with getting our first couple sales. 

Are there any negative repercussions for having the two businesses at the same address if one is brick and mortar, the other is e-commerce? From what I've seen online, it looks like some people use one address and that same address with a suite 100 variation for another business. Would I need to do something like this or could I just use the same address for both?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick G
July 2016

Re: 2 businesses using the same address or a suite 100 version of same address

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Nick G

First off vitual office addresses are against Google guidelines and once the algo has identified it as a virtual office you are probably looking at a suspention.

You can use the same address for two businesses as long as they are clearly separate businesses. The ideal differentiator would be a separate tel number.

Rule of thumb for two business at same address: Do you file 2 tax returns or 1 tax return.

Google Guidelines:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership