Partners
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

What I didn't know about negative keywords

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Today I learned that negative keywords only apply to the first 10 keywords in a search term. Google doesn't filter keywords after the 10th word. So if you have a negative keyword on "careers", your ad would show anyway for "apartment buildings and apartment complexes in the Baltimore Maryland area careers"

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What I didn't know about negative keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey @eroncohen

It's funny how many little nuggets of information we find over time.  There are so many little nuances like this between all the Google products.  I still find them on a pretty regular basis.  Never stop learning, right?

Fortunately, if I recall correctly, something like less than 1% (maybe even .5%) of searches in the US are that length (10+ terms). It's probably rare to show up for a query of that length and even rarer to show up for a query of that length that happens to have a negative keyword as the 11th term in a query.

For those who want to read more: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
@eroncohen, shocking! How many times did you get impressions for this 11-word keyword? Can't be more than once?

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Only one time-but it was a click...and a rather expensive one at that...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
So that explains why Google doesn't allow a negative keyword with 10+ words in the search phrase