AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

Virtual Ad Groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Looking for some input / collective experience on using virtual ad groups as an analysis tool. What is your approach to these and how do you use them? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Virtual Ad Groups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff M can you expand a little upon what you mean by "virtual ad groups"?  I can take a guess, but it's not something I've seen discussed before.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon, thanks for your reply. I have seen virtual ad groups used to combine many ad groups that have some similar characteristics, but which individually do not generate enough data to do meaningful analysis on a weekly or monthly basis. So, for the purpose of generating a report of, say, calls, conversions, clicks, cost, grouping together the data from 10, 20, 30 ad groups. Thanks again.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff M good, that was what I'd guessed you were thinking of!

To be honest, although it's an interesting idea, I'm not sure how it would fit with typical AdWords best practices.  For this to be a useful analysis, you'd (presumably) be putting multiple Ad Groups within a set of a similar theme and that's really how I'd define a Campaign.  So, if your Campaign included Ad Groups that didn't fit into the virtual set, I'd question why they were in that Campaign, while if the Campaign included all the Groups you wanted to look at, then you could just use Campaign stats.

I can see situations where similar Groups are in separate Campaigns because of differences in targeting (for example, a split by every State in the US might result in very little data per Ad Group, but it might make sense if you combined the data from the same Ad Groups in each of the 50 Campaigns.  To achieve this I'd be using Labels.   By labelling the Groups you could then select a view of a specific Label quickly and you'd have your virtual Group.  My concern here would be that the very difference that lead to the Groups being in different Campaigns in the first place might influence the data if it was amalgamated.  For example, if you had very few clicks for "keyword A" in individual Groups but when combined this Keyword had the best CTR, that might because it performed very well in only one or two States, rather than being an indication that it should have great CTR in all locations.

Have you some examples of where this principle has been used successfully?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits