Partners
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

Running under budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's say I have a client with a budget of $15,000 per month, and I'm running under-budget with a week left in the month - so I've got a few hundred extra dollars per day to do something with. I am running 5 campaigns for this client, some with #1 average position and some with #4 average position. 

What are some things to consider doing to hit my budget of $15,000? What are some adjustments I can make?

Any thoughts and ideas welcomed! Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff M
April 2016

Re: Running under budget

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Accelerated delivery.
Raise bids.
Add display select to your networks.
Expand targeted areas.
Reconsider your bid modifiers, and ad scheduling.
Broaden match types and/or add targeting options.

As long as you are getting some information and useful data out of your extra spend, it's definitely not wasted. You can hit a point of diminishing return in terms of direct ROAS, but you can always try to bring more new users into the funnel. Especially if you're using remarketing, you have to build the list(s) first. Smiley Happy
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tom - great suggestions, I appreciate your input!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff M, further to @tomhalejr's reply I will just raise one point (and then make my own).

If your Campaigns are already using as much budget as they can (i.e. your budget is much higher than typical spend) then setting to "Accelerated Delivery" will not change anything.  Accelerated Delivery only has an impact when budgets are limited and even then its only impact is to increase the rate at which Ads are shown, not how much is spent.

I'm curious as to your purpose here.  Although the client may allocate a budget of $15k, presumably you've already got a structure that is optimised for results.  While there are ways you could increase spend, as Tom has suggested, surely there's no benefit to the client unless those additional spending channels are proven to be positive in terms of their goals.  I can't advocate simply looking for ways to spend money.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Absolutely right Jon!

Sorry for being a... I've been away for a while. Smiley Happy
Tom

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

No worries @tomhalejr you're most welcome back!

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your suggestions Jon. I'm definitely not looking for way to "just spend" money. Looking for ways to increase performance and conversions in the latter portion of a month when there is extra money available to do so.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Jeff M although no use "retrospectively", it might be worth looking at controlling your budgets with a script to use them more effectively throughout the month.  I (and others) use these sorts of scripts a lot as they can account for days where spend is less than the budget, making that shortfall available to other days.

As long as your monthly spend is achievable, such a script can usually help you hit it with more regularity and consistency...

Jon

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
What about testing some new campaign types? Adding video, remarketing, various other display targeting, DSA, gmail, etc? Branch out and test something new!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @Shanee_Kirk! Those are all great ideas. In this scenario, I'm looking for ideas people have for quick, simple adjustments that can be made the last week or 10 days of a month. I figured some people out there would have some "go-to" practices. I think looking at raising bids on my campaigns that are below #1 average position, increasing mobile bid-modifiers where that is strong, and increasing bids for my strongest days/times seems to make the most sense. Any other thoughts or ideas people have, please share!