AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Kewwords

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello GPC,

do the + is effective when you create a list of negative keywords in Adwords or i really have to go all synonyms ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Re: Negative Kewwords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey @Benoit,

Yes, you need to add all synonyms to your negative keyword lists.  While broad match is a match type option for negative keywords is does not work the same way as a targeted regular broad match keywords - close variants,synonyms etc...are not automatically blocked and need to be specified in negative keyword lists.

I'm a big fan of shared negative lists - I always have one master list that contains negatives that will NEVER be a fit for the account/client and work in more specifics at the campaign/ad group level (if I'm using embedded negatives for instance). I also like to start out any negative strategy with a list of single term "seed" negatives that will block chunks of unwanted traffic - this saves me from having to add too many variations.

Here's a decent explanation as well - from: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972

Your ads still might show on searches and pages that contain variations of the terms that you select as negative keywords. Your ads might still show on searches that contain only one of your negative keyword terms if your keyword terms are more than one word. Let's say you add the negative keyword "wine bottle." Your ad might still show for searches and pages that contain "stemless wine glasses," "red wine," or "glass bottle." However, your ad wouldn't show for searches on "red wine bottle" or "wine bottle opener."

Just my couple cents.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
This article seems to say broad match works http://www.ppchero.com/defining-negative-keyword-match-types/
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey @Benoit,

Yes, you need to add all synonyms to your negative keyword lists.  While broad match is a match type option for negative keywords is does not work the same way as a targeted regular broad match keywords - close variants,synonyms etc...are not automatically blocked and need to be specified in negative keyword lists.

I'm a big fan of shared negative lists - I always have one master list that contains negatives that will NEVER be a fit for the account/client and work in more specifics at the campaign/ad group level (if I'm using embedded negatives for instance). I also like to start out any negative strategy with a list of single term "seed" negatives that will block chunks of unwanted traffic - this saves me from having to add too many variations.

Here's a decent explanation as well - from: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972

Your ads still might show on searches and pages that contain variations of the terms that you select as negative keywords. Your ads might still show on searches that contain only one of your negative keyword terms if your keyword terms are more than one word. Let's say you add the negative keyword "wine bottle." Your ad might still show for searches and pages that contain "stemless wine glasses," "red wine," or "glass bottle." However, your ad wouldn't show for searches on "red wine bottle" or "wine bottle opener."

Just my couple cents.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Thanks for your couple cents Tommy!! Smiley Happy I really appreciate it!