Partners
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

My Personal Script Must Haves. Right Level of Account Alerts?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor
I missed 4 days of account not serving. But not for the lack of trying!

Every one of the accounts I manage gets at least one health check a day. Turns out a pulse check is a must BEFORE a health check. Who knew? 

Getting The Right Level Of Alerts- (5).jpgDatabase error server issues got advertiser site suspended. I didn't know, because "account suspended" alerts went out to the account owner, and not the account manager..

If you're saying that I shouldn't be ogling my accounts every day in this old fashion way, you are right! Even though this particular account is relatively small, and I thought I could handle it, there is REALLY no excuse! It takes maybe 15-20 minutes tops to copy, paste, setup, authorize, preview and run a script! And then it runs on its own.

Long story short, here is one of the scripts EVERY account needs to have installed, verified, and running. It is named "Alert When Account Stops Serving" script and written by Frederick Vallayes, a former Googler:  goo.gl/djl03u. I now add this Serving Alert Script to all my accounts by default. Another script I have across ALL my accounts, by @Jon_Gritton, is called Flex Budget and can be found on Jon's website here: http://goo.gl/eO9xhJ.

There are many many scripts written by AdWords peeps, available for FREE. Well written scripts are super easy to use. Are you Getting The Right Level Of Alerts right now? What are the scripts YOUR account cannot do without? Post your must-have script(s) in the comments.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Right Level of Account Alerts? My Personal Script Must Haves.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Great info @Julia_Muller!

I'm also a fan of @Jon_Gritton's scripts.  Been using some of them for years.  

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Not to mention that you're the one, who got me on to Jon Gritton's script to begin with. Thank you @PPCBossman. It has served me well for many a times.

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey guys,

This might be an obvious one but for the benefit of others stumbling across this topic http://www.freeadwordsscripts.com/ has a lot of great scripts too..

If either @Julia_Muller or @PPCBossman have any good directories for scripts related to Shopping campaigns I would be very interested. I have not found many scripts for this campaign type outside of the Google developers site.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Yeah, AdWords Scripts on Google Developers as well as Russel Savage's scripts are very useful for AdWords automation. I happen to use the above two scripts by default, but also some others for simplifying my everyday AdWords tasks.

@Mike Blackmore recently posted about scripts in another community, one of them is "Vallaeys Shopping Efficiency Score" script: http://goo.gl/vOzJux, which might be useful to you @JimVaillancourt, if you haven't seen it yet.

Julia Muller,

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Julia_Muller @PPCBossman thanks for the shout out folks!

@JimVaillancourt there are lots of good sources of scripts out there, not least the examples provided by Google themselves here:

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/solutions/

One word of caution when using scripts from anywhere, Google changes their code schema with remarkable frequency and I've noticed a few scripts online that will actually no longer work or, perhaps worse, will work right now, but will stop working at their sunset date in the near future.  Get into the habit of checking the output of any scripts you use and make sure (perhaps once a week) that they're still working and doing what you expect them to do.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Indeed @Jon_Gritton. It happened to me before where a script stopped working, and took some time to notice. I need a script now that will check if every script executes properly and report. And a script that will check THAT script as well. Smiley Happy

Julia Muller,

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Julia_Muller Smiley Happy  Of course, joking aside, there are ways to check script runs...  You could set up an email that sends upon success (although that could flood your inbox), you could write success to a spreadsheet, rolling it for 7 days (although then you've got to remember to check the spreadsheet, at least you could have all your scripts in one place).

The worst problems are those that don't produce an actual error, but simply don't do what you want (or expect) and unfortunately for that the only real solution is to check on a regular basis, making sure your script logs out relevant and useful text.

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits