Partners
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

Managing multiple websites in 1 account

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager
This was pulled from the Google Partners - North America G+ Community
Author: Paola Rachel Jean-Pierre

Facing a challenge moment: I have a client with 3 different websites in the same industry. I have 1 Adwords account with 3 different campaigns for each. How to make sure my keywords don't competing against each other, especially if the location is the same?

Let me be more specific: the 3 websites offer exactly the same products in the Finance industry. It’s literally a copy-paste from one to the other, the only difference is the emphasis on languages (French and English). It’s a lead gen with a form to fill. To answer @Eric I’m looking into RLSA but I’m retargeting all visitors of 3 websites since the product is the same.

Comments/answers:

Author: Eric Gehler

Interesting.
Are their unique differences between the 3 website?  UPS that separate the 3 websites.   Does one convert better then the others? Would it make sense to concentrate on just one website with the best conversions opportunities ( the site that mobile friendly, best site speed,, best landing pages)

Can you differentiate keyword between the campaigns ?- High end terms, low end terms.  

Would it make sense to have one domain a Call Only Campaigns for keywords?

Can you add RLSA remarketing campaigns to target prior visitors.. Or DSA campaigns based on site content?

You could attempt to Silo by using Negative Keywords to force certain terms into the different campaigns.
Ie  negative out things in other campaigns so they force the other to show the ad in one campagin

One method would be to use Ad Scheduling for Day parting and even only on certain days to Run Domain 1 for  8am 12. Domain 2 12-5, Domain 3  5-10Pm . Even days of the week

You could also decrease or increase Mobile between campaigns,  Domain 1 has best mobile, increase that, remove mobile as an option for domain 2.

You can break out locations even more granular and this part of the city, state goes to campaign 1, this part to campaign 2 etc. Can you give a general idea of the vertical/ business and the focus of each website?  ie Lead gen, Ecommerce etc?

Author: Michae Thompson
you said "How to make sure my keywords don't competing against each other, especially if the location is the same?"

a. Make Ad
b. Conduct Landing Page Experiment with 3 domains same ad.
(Your experiment needs to have different display urls for each domain)
c. Measure and optimize

Doing this will effectively randomize which of the 3 are being serviced as opposed to all 3 properties competing with each other.

If you have identical campaigns but different languages, treat those as non-competing campaigns because since the languages are different, they will not auction each other.

Author: Jon Gritton
@Eric Gehler Hopefully I can clear up the "double serving" issue, as it's something that gets discussed a lot over in the EN community.

Let's get some facts straight first!  

#1 (+Justin McGinnis) There's absolutely no problem promoting different domains within one Account, as Eric said, problems only raise their heads when you have more than one Account.  The only limitation of this type is within Ad Groups, where the domain must be the same for all Ads.

#2 Double-serving cannot occur with a single domain.  AdWords only permits one Ad per domain to appear in results, so double-serving is not actually possible unless you have at least two separate domains. 

Google now uses the phrase "gaining an unfair advantage" to describe double-serving and it's a useful phrase because it helps clarify what might be and might not be an offence.  The typical situation is where an advertiser has two Accounts and two websites both selling the same products, and has their Ads appear twice in results, that's clearly "an unfair advantage".

But it's not necessarily true to say that all cases of the same products, multiple websites and multiple Accounts are double-serving.  For example, if you had a UK website and a US one, and matching Accounts targeting in those countries, there'd (likely) be no violation of policy because you'd only be showing one Ad at a time in one location - there'd be no unfair advantage.  Splitting Accounts by territory is quite a common practice.

+Paola Rachel Jean-Pierre can I ask what the purpose of the bilingual domain is (or, to put it another way, what's the purpose of the specific language domains)?  It seems to me that if the product is identical, and you're only looking at English and French languages, then it's redundant to have all three.  You need only have the two specific language domains or the single bilingual domain.  Either way you'd use two Campaigns, specific to one language each, within one Account, but in one case they'd be landing on different domains and in the other they'd both be landing on the bilingual domain.

Author: Tom Hale Jr.
Yet another occasion when +Jon Gritton absolutely hits the nail on the head!

The owner has their perspective - They have made this investment in all these sites. They want to see some money out of it. You know how the saying goes, want in one hand... Smiley Happy

It's all about the end users language settings. If they have their browser set to french, target the french language, land on the french site, use french keywords. Do the same for english. As long as campaign targeting doesn't overlap, then you can have an account (and billing, if the client wants to keep that separated) for each language/site/business.

If, campaign targeting overlaps, then keep everything in one account. You can't double-serve within a single account, so you wouldn't have to worry about that. You may not get the "right" ad/landing page for every user/query within your account structure - But, as long as you have links to each site/language clearly visible in the top level navigation, users can still get to where they want to go.

Within a single account you can "promote" all the sites as per the client mandate, and not have to worry about suspensions for double serving. You can always create another account, and have one for each language/site/business in the long run. (Of course, then you have to have another gmail account, or an MCC...)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Managing multiple websites in 1 account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Thanks for pulling this over here.