Partners
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Tag Assistant - Chrome Plugin

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Tag Assistant is a Chrome Extension that automatically validates the implementation of Google tracking scripts on any given page. If you have not added this to Chrome, you really are missing out on a great tool. 

It currently works for:
> Google Analytics (ga.js)
> Google Analytics (dc.js)
> AdWords Conversion Tracking
> AdWords Remarketing (legacy)
> AdWords Remarketing (new remarketing tag)
> Doubleclick Floodlight
> Google Tag Manager

You can install Tag Assistant via this Google Chrome Store link.https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk

How Tag Assistant Works
After installing the extension, you will see an icon indicating the status of the tag on the page you're viewing.

> A grey icon with an 'x' indicates that no code was found on the page
> A green indicator will show if a valid tag was found. The number in the icon indicates the number of tags that were found
> A blue indicator will show there are suggestions on improving overall tagging health
> A yellow indicator will show that a tag was found with minor implementation issues
> A red indicator will show that a tag was found with critical implementation issues

Click the icon to open a window containing tag details. It shows how many tags were found, how many errors were found, any errors, and a link to the most relevant help document available to resolve the problem. In addition, Tag Assistant makes suggestions when improvements can be made. For example, if an outdated Analytics tag has been installed, Tag Assistant may suggest that you update to a newer tag. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James_Clemens
May 2016

Re: Google Tag Assistant - Chrome Plugin

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Jen N.

Here is a screenshot of one of my sites showing analysis of Google Tag Assistant. If I click on the tag, I get more options for seeing the code, etc..

If conversion tag is active is showing in Adwords, that is great news. And if Tag Assistant shows you green smiles... that is great news, too. Please note that I landed on the goal page for the conversion, which is why I have four tags showing (one being conversion). If I was to land on any other page on this specific website, there would be only three tags showing in Tag Assistant. 

Have you explored this help topic on Google Tag Assistant? 

tag assistant analysis.jpg 

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I agree @James_Clemens - very helpful and useful tool.  Every good search marketer needs to be able to manage tags and tracking.  Tag assistant is a great help in not only verifying proper installation but also for troubleshooting potential problems.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@PPCBossman, absolutely. For anyone hunting issues with tracking codes... this resource will sort it out fast & easy. 

Happy Friday... cheers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What I can't find a definitive answer on how Tag Assistant should show AdWords conversion code WITHIN Tag Manager code. It seems to indicate that Analytics code is present, but isn't validating AdWords. However, in AdWords, the Tracking Status says "Conversion tag is active."

The AdWords tag should show up in Check Contained Tags, I assume. But I can't find a screenshot or video of this scenario anywhere to confirm that. Anyone else in this boat?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James_Clemens
May 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Jen N.

Here is a screenshot of one of my sites showing analysis of Google Tag Assistant. If I click on the tag, I get more options for seeing the code, etc..

If conversion tag is active is showing in Adwords, that is great news. And if Tag Assistant shows you green smiles... that is great news, too. Please note that I landed on the goal page for the conversion, which is why I have four tags showing (one being conversion). If I was to land on any other page on this specific website, there would be only three tags showing in Tag Assistant. 

Have you explored this help topic on Google Tag Assistant? 

tag assistant analysis.jpg 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, this is what I suspected I should be seeing, I just wanted some confirmation. I'm going to try changing my trigger from "contains" to a RegEx match.

Thanks again!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Very welcome, @Jen N

Enjoy digging in with Tag Assistant... and be Google great. Robot Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I use the google tag assistant plugin - it won't show me google analytics. Only remarketing and conversion tags. Why might this be? I know that my analytics code is on the site and working. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Emily L,

If Tag Assistant does not show, it is not installed on that page. You can right click on your website and pick to view source and physically look for it. 

Please note that you can go to Google Analytics and see if data is being tracked and what type of data, too. Maybe someone set it up Event Tracking, which does not require the code to be directly on the web page?

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have full view permissions in GA but tag assistant says I don’t, why? Thanks