Partners
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding on Variations of Keywords

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

This may be a fairly simple question but it's something I've always been pulled opposite directions on and I'm looking for some advice.

Is it necessary to bid on variations of a keyword? For example, if the service you offer is dry cleaning, should you also bid on "dry cleaner", "dry cleaners", "dry cleaning service", "dry cleaners chicago", etc., or is it best to just bid on "dry cleaning" and add the others as exact matches if they have a significant level of impressions?

I know our account has too many variations right now and I'd love to cut that down but I'm concerned about the effect that will have on our quality scores. I also don't want to drastically limit the amount of auctions we're eligible to show for. Does anyone have any strong thoughts on this? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bidding on Variations of Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Natalie Lloyd

Sorry for replying to your post with such delay. We do bid on variations and the variations thereof Smiley Happy. Sounds daunting, but some sectors benefit from it. While others don't. I guess that is due to Google keyword databases not created equal for each sector. 

So, to give a hypothetical example, we would bid on "dry cleaner" and "dry cleaners" both. In this example "dry cleaner" will match a query "dry cleaners in Chelsey"  In addition, we'd bid on +dry +cleaner, which would mean that a phrase may contain either dry cleaner +other keywords or +dry +cleaners plus other keywords. Due to the way BMM match type works.

Hope this helps!

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.