Partners
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

Best Practices for Expanded Text Ads

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

By now you may have created an expanded text ad, or at least seen the option to do so in your AdWords accounts. It’s the biggest change that text ads on the search network have seen in 15 years, and this will become the new normal on the 26th of October.

With expanded text ads being significantly different to what we are used to, many advertisers and agencies have been left wondering what will and won’t work most effectively with this new ad format. Google have thankfully provided us with some best practices however!

In no particular order, I have listed some of the most important points that you’ll want to consider when dealing with expanded text ads -

• There are now two clickable headlines which are the most prominent parts of the ad. Extra focus should therefore be applied on split testing headlines via multiple ad variations.
  • Mobile preferred ads are now gone and replaced with the ability to include an (optional) mobile URL. The key here is to therefore create ad texts that will resonate to users across devices.
  • Ad extensions are more important than ever but do require some care. Ensure that there is no overlap between your expanded text ads and your ad extensions as if there’s duplication, they may not serve.
  • Don’t ditch the ‘old’ standard ads completely. Leave one in rotation so that the system can still prioritise your best performing ads.
  • If you’re struggling for time to implement these new ad creatives, prioritise ad groups with the highest volume and / or value.

If you have your own best practices to share then please feel free to do so with the rest of the community!

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best Practices for Expanded Text Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Here's one little tidbit.

If you happen to be starting off with exiting/standard ads to create ETAs, editor has a feature where you can download standard ads in expanded format to save some time shuffling around existing ads in excel/sheets.

-Tommy

editor-export.png

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Nice Tips as always Scotty!

@PPCBossman - Great find on the editor, I am sure I am going to use this one.

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Sir

The new ad format is amazing and as per my account optimisation they are converting well but sometimes i need to pay more for the clicks, rest optimising the campaign and writing great ads can give the best result. I read your best practices conversation with AdWords. they are extremely good.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott,

There are some truncation issues too. I read somewhere that using 32 char and 30 is the best practice. What do you think?

@TommySands: What would you suggest?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Scott, thanks for the great info. I have a question– Where does the fourth line get pulled from? Example:

MySite.com - Official Mysite® Site‎

Your Church Solutions In One Place! Website, Media, App, Tithing & More
Great Info · 75,000 Amazing Widgets · Mobile App · Insightful Tutorials

I've italicized the area in question. I wrote the Title 1 & Title 2. Then my URL, and then my description text. But the 4th line "Great Info • 75k etc. etc." I didn't write as part of this ad. Where is it getting pulled from?? Thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Walter,
Those would be Ad Extensions. You can add them in the main settings. There are several types: sitelinks, call, location, app, review, callouts etc. Find out more here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375499?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hey Walter,

Tiffanie is right here. Those are extensions and to be precise they are Structured Snippet Extensions. In your case as you have not added any to your campaigns these are Dynamic Structured Snippets i.e. these are being pulled directly from your LP and being show with your ads.

You can continue using these if they are mostly relevant but if you feel you can do a better job at it, you should opt out of it. I know I opted out for my campaigns as my ads were being shown with vague info in the snippets.

Another great manual extension is Callout Extensions. Basically, Callouts & Structured Snippets are used to showcase USP's of your product and services.

Give the link a read and let us know if you have any queries here.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Walter V, I had a similar extension appear on an ad, that was not an extension I created. It sure was odd, and we brought it up at our AdWords meeting and tried to deduce where it came from. It looked like Google was just pulling a sentence off the website somewhere, since the account was new and the extensions weren't set up yet at that point.

So if those aren't extensions you created, I'd recommend creating good quality ones that Google can show Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
These new expanded ads are so much better and more efficient than the old style. Finally I can type complete sentences in my ad text! great job Google.