Partners
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

Alert from AdWords: All Standard/Read-Only Users becoming Admins on Nov 14 2016

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On October 20, 2016, I received an alert from Google AdWords that says:

Dear AdWords Advertiser,

"Managed-Read only" and "Managed-Standard" access levels will soon be combined into one "Administrative" access level to make it easier for you to control access to your AdWords accounts.

You're receiving this message because your AdWords account (Customer ID: [deleted]) has users or contains accounts with users that have "Managed-Read only" or "Managed-Standard" access. See a list of these accounts here.

What's changing

Starting on November 14, 2016, users with "Managed-Read only" or "Managed-Standard" account access will be automatically upgraded to the "Administrative” access level. With "Administrative" access you'll be able to invite new users and change user access levels for the same AdWords account.

Next steps

Review the list of accounts with "Managed-Read only" or "Managed-Standard" access users before November 14, 2016 to confirm this upgrade will meet your business needs:

• If all user access levels in your account(s) are accurate, you do not need to take any action.

• If you don't want specific users to have "Administrative" access, you'll need to change their access level before November 14, 2016. Learn how

If you have any questions about these changes, please don't hesitate to reach out to your account team or contact us at any time.

Sincerely,

The Google AdWords team

I've literally spent several hours on chats, calls, and emails with the Support team, and they cannot explain to me:

1) Why Google is removing permissions levels in an attempt to make it "easier for me to control access to my AdWords accounts" -- doesn't this make it harder to control?

2) Will I be able to assign lower access levels / permissions again after November 14?

3) Does this affect our MCC (the client ID referenced our MCC number) OR our child accounts OR both?

4) What if I have users who need access but I don't want them to have access to billing or adding additional users?

It's been a run-around. I don't see anyone else posting, and in fact, Google Support couldn't even see the email in my account/alert history.

Did anyone else receive this? How are you handling contractors or other individuals who need access but preferably NOT admin-level permissions??

Apologies if I've missed something. I"m totally in the weeds. Appreciate any insights anyone may have. Thank you!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Christine B,

I have seen this alert and have several people concerned about it, too. It does not make sense to remove limited access to accounts or for some users to be able to add/remove users, see billing, etc.. 

Let's see what others here in the Google Partners community say about this and what they are doing to solve it. As agencies utilizing AdWords, we all give out permissions, but generally they are limited for the purpose the person would need. 

Kind Regards,

James

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christine B
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

If I understand this correctly ( having dealt with a similar issue just awhile ago) the "Managed-Read only" and "Managed-Standard" is a legacy access from an MCC that created the account and gave that access to a user.

The normal "standard user" and "Read Only access" should still apply when one with Admin rights, can invite accept a user ( obviously an email address that has not been associated with Adwords prior)

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704346?ctx=tltp

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6139186?visit_id=1-636131047113619867-3609976133&rd=1#acce...

Christine

4) What if I have users who need access but I don't want them to have access to billing or adding additional users?

grant then standard access like you would anyone else ( but they have to a have a neutral email address never assigned to adwords)

3) Does this affect our MCC (the client ID referenced our MCC number) OR our child accounts OR both?

Depends how the relationship of the original adwords account was created.  The "managed access" is basically because the third party ( ie the MCC) granted the access

Managed Access

This access level is assigned when a manager account user lowers another user’s access level from “Administrative” to “Standard,” and that user was originally invited to the account by someone else.

If you gave an underling Managed access rights, then you now have to remove, change or edit then to the correct rights you want that user to have.

2) Will I be able to assign lower access levels / permissions again after November 14?

yes the normal access rules apply

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6139186?visit_id=1-636131047113619867-3609976133&rd=1#acce...

1) Why Google is removing permissions levels in an attempt to make it "easier for me to control access to my AdWords accounts" -- doesn't this make it harder to control?

In reality, it is bringing access Ownership back to the OWNER.  Because MCC created accounts would give managed access to the owner some rights to the adwords account via an MCC- instead of true Owner Rights as Admin.  This is actually a positive move to reclaim the true owners access rights to an account.

yes is sucks if you did things the RIGHT way, but you should be able to Limit the changed overs to Standard - or read only etc.  More good then negative was done with this move as the vast majority of owners didn't have owner admin rights because of weak Agency Adwords Golden Handcuff mentality ( IMHO)

Re: Alert from AdWords: All Standard/Read-Only Users becoming Admins on Nov 14 2016

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

this is new

Even if email is associated with other adwords accounts:

So that should SOLVE most of all the issues for people who should have less access..

account access.JPG

Re: Alert from AdWords: All Standard/Read-Only Users becoming Admins on Nov 14 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Christine B,

Eric sure has gone out of his way to provide some truly great info we all can use with this possible issue when managing AdWords accounts. 

I only want to add the response I received from Google with this change.

@J Clemens I've just double checked with the Product team, and as long as you're an Admin on the account, you will be able to move the managed user to Admin status, then downgrade the user to Read-only (it will take two steps). It's worth noting, though, that read-only users can currently view Billing, and that won't change with this November 14th update.

I hope this helps you, Eric... and many others, too. I know it does me.

Kind Regards,

James

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

"In reality, it is bringing access Ownership back to the OWNER."

So what you are saying is that there is such a huge issue with unscrupulous agencies not giving their clients true ownership of their accounts, that Google is changing the access level of all users? This doesn't stop those unscrupulous people from going right back in and changing the level of access of the owner again.

If Google really wants to solve the problem of ownership, then ban all the MCC's of agencies that don't provide their clients ownership of their own accounts. Then those advertisers will be able to find actual professionals who don't try to lie, cheat, and steal from them - Then perhaps, see some actual returns from the advertising, and end up spending more money.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So just to get some clarity on this: 

We currently have 1000s of accounts with "Managed - read only" users. 

By Nov 14th do we have to manually update all of these to 'regular' read-only? 

This seems like a bit of a nightmare. Are there any bulk solutions to do so? 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Rob P,

Yes, they will either be upgraded and remain with those new privileges or you will need to manually adjust them. I have not heard of any bulk solutions as of yet, which this is a rather new change, so one could be made by someone at any time. 

All the Best,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, James.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Sadly, it appears I am not. Smiley Sad

Thanks again, 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Rob P,

You are very welcome. 

I do understand your feeling. If you figure out a way to do this in bulk, please do stop back and share it with the community. 

Kind Regards,

James