AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords "New User" Tip: Keywords | Custom Columns

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Google Adwords is a very robust system with a lot of great features designed to allow each user to customize it to best suite their needs.

Did you know that you can customize the layout of the dashboards with custom columns?

You sure can! Customizing the layout of Adwords saves you time by displaying the info you need to better assess how your campaigns are performing. This will bring more engagement with your accounts, too, which is really important. The custom columns feature is often overlooked by "new users to Adwords," yet it's something most "experienced users of Adwords utilizes heavily." 

Custom columns for keywords: 

1) Log in to your MCC or Adwords and click on the account name.

2) Click on the keywords tab.

3) Now locate the red box that says + Keywords. Above it is a series of tabs with one of those being Columns. Click on it and then click modify columns.

Great, now you can customize your keywords dashboard so that it will display the data you need/want. Not sure which ones to add? I add a few below to help you get started. These will let you see how this feature works and how much more alive your keywords' dashboard will be by employing custom columns for your accounts. 

Good columns to add (there are many depending on your preferences):

• Est. first page bid
  • Impr.
  • Interactions
  • Interactions rate
  • Qual. score
  • Ave Cost
  • Cost
  • Bounce rate
  • Conv. Rate

The trick is to add just the right amount of data for your needs, so don't add everything offered. One restraint will be your screen size and how much you like side-scrolling. Plus, some columns may not be in use for your specific campaigns, so you will want to play around with things a little to dial in your ideal setup. Once you do, you will really be happy that you did... and so will your campaigns. 

Note: You can use custom columns for all of the sub-sections of your Adwords accounts. Once you finish with keywords, dive into campaigns, ad groups, settings, ads, videos, audiences, ad extensions, targeting, dimensions and more. 

Have fun improving your Adwords experience!

- James

1 Expert replyverified_user