Partners
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords tip of the week: Make the most of the Display Network

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I remember that at the start of my career, when I was first working for an agency being taught all about the Search Network in great detail. Yet, I really don’t have much recollection of being taught about the Display Network. Fast forward eight years, and I notice that many businesses still don’t know as much as they should with regards to getting the most from the Display Network.

There are plenty of free resources online to learn from now, however, and Google has recently added to that list with an official guide to optimizing the Display Network. This guide has some great best practices, covering the setup phase right through to intricate management techniques. If you feel like you could brush up on your Display Network knowledge, then I definitely suggest putting some time aside one lunch break to dive into these ten tips. Check this excellent resource for yourself here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6382966

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords tip of the week: Make the most of the Display Network

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for sharing! Eight years ago the Display Network sure was different from how it is today!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I love the display network! When optimized correctly, it can be a really great lead source.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I think it takes a lot of granular work and knowing your auction when compared to the competition in order to make the display network profitable. I am still working on it!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks for sharing @ScottyD!

I love this - "Keep search and display campaigns separate for more control"

But what about that Search with Display Select campaign I just set up?  Smiley Happy

Long gone are the days of just putting banners up with some keywords, from campaign types to targeting to ad options, the Display network has definitely evolved into a pretty powerful tool. I really like the granular targeting options and the ability to use the GDN for YouTube and Gmail efforts as well. 

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I think the value of display really depends a lot on the intent of the campaign. I have used it to awesome effect promoting music videos and film trailers using click to play ads and image ads. For example, I could target music magazine sites and blogs with indie music videos to give a band more awareness or target big, national news sources like The New York Times with ads about a documentary film. It not only reaches the audience particular to those sites but it gives indies a bit more perceived importance because of the brand of the site they are appearing on, even as an ad.