Partners
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords tip of the week: Callout extension best practices

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I reckon that callouts, similar to other ad extensions, must have been one of the best embraced AdWords features in recent years. What can’t you love about highlighting popular and unique aspects of a business without eating into regular character limits? If you haven’t heard of callout extensions before, or simply haven’t tried them yet, then check this article from the official AdWords Help Center as soon as you can.

For those of you already using callouts, I just wanted to highlight a few quick best practices from Google which you may have missed the first time around:

• Keep text short: Using a maximum of 12-15 characters is ideal. This increases the amount of callouts that can show and gives AdWords more callouts to choose from. Think of a callout as a bullet point, rather than a complete sentence. Try “Free shipping” instead of “We have free shipping” for example.

• Be specific: Where appropriate, try to use specific details to help a potential customer decide whether your site contains the information they’re looking for.

• Capitalize words sparingly: Ads see better performance with callouts that use sentence case rather than title case.

I’d also be very interested to hear of your own best practices. What tactics have led to improved CTR averages for you?

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords tip of the week: Callout extension best practices

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I love callouts even vs sitelinks. Sometimes you create a specific landing page and really DON'T want to send the user away (which is what a sitelink does). The callouts can give you the same additional real estate without losing control of where you are directing the user. Perfect!

Re: AdWords tip of the week: Callout extension best practices

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Highlighting terms with some immediate benefits. For example, its bluebonnet season here in Texas, so a photog gets "Bluebonnet Weekend" (works even if over the recommended word count). Also for features that we know are pushbuttons from the customer-facing team that also end up in our FAQs - so a pet resort gets "Splash Pool" or "24/7 Staff" or "All Suites"

We have been mixing and matching callouts and structured snippets.