Partners
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
AdWords, ad groups, and campaigns. The heart of AdWords campaign management.
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords | Site Category Options

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I was curious as to your uses of site category options (Display Network) in AdWords.

Do you allow parked domains or exclude them like I do? I just don't like parked domains and avoid them when I surf. I do not trust anything on them. I found several years ago that excluding them saved my client's money and brought a lower bounce rate, too. What are you thoughts?

What about in-game placement? This is another one that bothers me after I generally found a high bounce rate, low engagement and a waste of client spend. Do you get anything positive out of using it?

Did you know there are a lot of options like these you can set and zero in on your precise type of targeting? There sure are and you should be using at least a few of them, if not more.  

• Sensitive Content: War, Death, Sex, Profanity, Police Blotters are all some of the content you can enable or exclude. 
  • Digital Content: Much like movies or video game, you can use ratings to shape your target. Mature audiences, parental guidance, teens, etc. all can be used to your benefit.
  • Types of Placement: Parked domains, Forums, Social Networks, gambling and more are all options you control.
  • Ad location: Yes, you can place your ad below-the-fold, if that is your desire.

These are often overlooked by AdWords users that are not inquisitive, since the options are a little buried in your AdWords interface. Ready to put them to use for your client's and campaigns? Great!

• Go to your Display Network tab and click + Targeting, which is located above the graph.
  • Under “Campaign exclusions” select a campaign.
  • Click the “Add campaign exclusions” drop-down menu and select "Site category options."
  • In the panel that opens, set your site category options to “Enabled” or “Excluded.”  
  • Click Close and then Save.

Hope you have fun shaping your campaigns. Please post up other tips that align with this subject and help others bring better performance for less spend to their accounts. 

Kind Regards,

James

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

i never used to use parked domains exclusions but when i did my display ads improved tremendously. I am glad you are talking about it. 

regards,

Zaby

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. Please do not include self-promotional links in your posts or signature. The use of a signature is a privilege reserved for members of the Google Top Contributor program

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Zaby,

That is really great to hear and aligns with what I have experienced. I hope more will look into this and put it to use for their campaigns. 

Thanks for adding to this discussion, sir. 

Kind Regards,

James

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi, @J Clemens, I've seen lots of articles where people recommend to exclude those categories without running any experiments before, so it's really amazing topic.

Can you please share how did you found that parked domains are producing a high bounce rate, low engagement and a waste of client spend. 

@Zaby can you please share more details about your experiment as well, thanks. 

I am always excluding Gmob but right now I want to run several tests on other exclusions. 

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Alexey C,

We first ran some experiments and saw the improvements. This was done with professional services/law firms and retail/home furnishings. From what we gathered, we felt the traffic was low quality and/or accidental clicks mostly. From there, we spent another six months researching the subject and talking with various industry leaders and advertisers and most (nearly all) agreed with the conclusion. Finally, we suggested it to some of the AdWords users we consulted/advised and they either found a increase in clicks & quality score and a decrease in cost -or- they saw no negative results from making the change.  

I would add that a branding campaign and/or certain industries could/would still see a value in parked domains... but for most advertisers, they do not need them. All of these site categories should be carefully considered and not overlooked or left at default actions.

Thanks for the comments and please do let us know what you discover.

All the Best,

James