AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics Academy
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

Universal Analytics Already Setup - Integrating GTM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I took on a site that already had Universal Analytics completely setup to perform all the basic tracking.

Is it possible to install GTM and then implement a new G-UA setup using GTM to run side by side with the current G-UA?

I would like the client to have access to their G-UA while I create a new setup for them with GTM and a new G-UA. Then after I have setup this new GTM and G-UA, I would delete the current one.

G-UA: Google Universal Analytics

Just to explain it another way:

My client has a full fledged Google Universal Analytics already implemented on their website.

I would like to integrate Google Tag Manager.

So what I was hoping to do is leave the current Google Universal Analytics in place, create a GTM container and use it to deploy a new Google Universal Analytics tracking code, run them (the current Google Universal Analytics and the new Google Universal Analytics with GTM) together until the new setup in configured all the way, then delete the current Google Universal Analytics setup and use the new GTM and Google Analytics.

Thank you.