AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics Academy
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

Transisting GA to GTM, can I use exisiting Properties & Apps?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have existing GA account that is setup for multiple sub sites. We are transitioning to GTM and I've been asked if there's a way to set up GTM to reuse the current path to the GA stats.

When you log into GA, you have Accounts > Properties & Apps > Views. For example, in Properties and Apps, we have current-subsite1 that leads to it's views. Can I set up GTM to use that same current-subsite1 under properties & apps, or is the only option to create a new one like new-subsite1? Product owners don't want to lose historical tracking data and/or lose the current user flow to accessing stats under the new GTM once configured.

Any insight would be appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Transisting GA to GTM, can I use exisiting Properties & Apps?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Yes, you can use the same setup (same account, property, views...), nothing should be changed in GA, basically you will use the same tracking, only using a different implementation (GA tracking tag in GTM instead of the tracking code snippet). Hope this helps, let me know if if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital