2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

Running Google Analytics through Google Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have watched a number of videos recently that state I should be running my google analytics through google tag manager. I understand why i would want to track events through tag manager and the benefits of using tag manager as you don't need to have a developer or whomever hosts the website implement manual lines of code to receive data on certain hits, but why would I have my other google analytics data run through tag manager? Are there any drawbacks to doing this? If I need to present Google Analytics to an external client or someone else in my organization will they still be able to see all of the data I can currently see in Google Analytics (source/medium, referrer, etc.)? Thanks!

Running Google Analytics through Google Tag Manager

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @Jared L,

GTM allows a better consolidation process for all your tag implementation processes. In addition from limiting source code tweaks, nesting your Analytics within GTM will also allow you to create additional tagging parameters which you could push to your Analytics account....making it more robust.

For example, utilizing your Universal Analytics ID, you can also push custom dimensions/metrics and events to Analytics by firing additional tags within GTM (tracking Affiliate links, video clicks, navigation clicks, etc). Regardless of how advanced you want to make your tracking, using Analytics within GTM will still give you 100% of the data that you would receive with a traditional Analytics code implementation process.