AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

x% bid increase as priority goes up

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good afternoon. After browsing these forums for a while it's time for me to pose a question myself. I have tried Googling my issue, with no results.

For our webshop we are using 3 Shopping campaigns:

1. Low prio / high std bid (€1)

2. Middle prio / middle std bid (€0,75)

3. High prio / low std bid (€0,45)

Every products starts in [3]. We've excluded some keywords in 3 zo we bid higher on conversion oriented keywords.

Now our issue/challenge: In [3] we have different adgroups for our products. Within these adgroups we have products with different bids. So not every individual bid is set at €0,45. We wonder if it would be possible to make the bid increase between 3, 2 and 1 to be percentual. Like a 25% increase [1] over the SET bid in [3] rather than a static std bid increase. Products we offer 50% less for than avarage of 0,45 in [3] we dont want to bid 0,75 for in [2]..

Thanks in advance dear community Smiley Happy

With kind regards,

Lutijn

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joost M
November

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I have to correct Jon, that this is not how Shopping Campaigns work, Joost's example is correct and how it works.

If a search term is excluded from campaigns in high priority, it will go to the medium campaign, than if excluded again, goes to the low priority campaign.

This is a common advanced practice for bidding differently depending on the search term. His last post with example demonstrates how it works.

However I do not know of any method to do percentage based bidding. You might be able to do it based on all conversion value / cost and using a script to change the max cpc bidding. But you can do that with bid strategy in the campaign too. Simply set the target ROAS. However you need 15 sales within a month for it to have an effect.

You might be able to ask your question, if there is a script that can do what you want : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/adwords-scripts

Personal feedback : I have never heard or seen anyone wanting to bid like you, so why would you not want to use target roas? Maybe I'm missing what your intentions are. As in the end it's all about return of investment, by changing the max cpc based on returns would be a better option.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Re: x% bid increase as priority goes up

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Joost M it would be possible to set the CPCs of products in one Campaign as a percentage of the CPCs in another, but your current structure won't work as I think you're intending.

The highest priority Campaign for Shopping is always the only bidder in an auction where a product appears in more than one Campaign. So, with the structure you've shown in your post, if you had the same product in all three Campaigns, Campaign 3 would always be the bidder, regardless of the higher bids in Campaigns 1 and 2.  See here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6275296?hl=en-GB

It may be that this is just a typo, but for the structure to work as you've described, Campaign 1 (with the highest bid) should be set to High Priority and Campaign 3 (with the lowest) to Low Priority.

Setting the bids for one Campaign based on the performance of another is not really a good idea.  If you're able to measure the performance of your products against your goals (and you should be with Shopping) then it's better to judge each product in each Group/Campaign on its own metrics.  You can allow the High Priority Campaign to have a higher Max CPC, but the actual bids should be based on the performance in that Campaign not a simple percentage of the performance in another.  Bid amounts can change performance dramatically and the performance of a product in the Low Priority Campaign with a lower bid may not be a direct reflection of how that product would perform with a higher bid.

I'm really not sure the Priority feature is what you want to be using here, since it's typically used for short-term promotions with a specific budget and purpose (for example a Halloween promotion of only a few products in a wider range).  If you want to actively manage your bids based upon profitability or other metrics, there are better ways to do it.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your in depth reaction Jon!

Let me elaborate on our pyramid structure.

1. Low prio / high std bid (€1). target leads: BRAND-X Shoes. Bid strategy: bid(product-x-in-campaign2)+25%

2. Middle prio / middle std bid (€0,75) excluded: BRAND-X. target leads: buy nice shoes +25% Bid strategy: bid(product-x-in-campaign3)+25%

3. High prio / low std bid (€0,45) excluded: BRAND-X, BUY. target leads: nice shoes +0%

We use this to be able to pay more for search terms in which people include 'buying' and our brand name. We currently have no personal dedicated to adwords. I will be monitoring this myself as often as possible but the main goal is to avoid paying more in [3] than in [2], since we're playing a lot with the bids in 3 atm, as we're gathering data. But no matter what bid will work for 'nice shoes', we will still want to pay more for 'buy nice shoes'. How much more exactly will have to be tweaked, I agree, but this will avoid paying the 0,75 bid in [2] when the bid in [3] has just been raised to 0,95.

I'm very much interested in your thoughts on that. I totally agree however with you on the fact that each product should be judged on the data available for the product. 

With kind regards,

Lutijn de Kruijff

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joost M
November

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I have to correct Jon, that this is not how Shopping Campaigns work, Joost's example is correct and how it works.

If a search term is excluded from campaigns in high priority, it will go to the medium campaign, than if excluded again, goes to the low priority campaign.

This is a common advanced practice for bidding differently depending on the search term. His last post with example demonstrates how it works.

However I do not know of any method to do percentage based bidding. You might be able to do it based on all conversion value / cost and using a script to change the max cpc bidding. But you can do that with bid strategy in the campaign too. Simply set the target ROAS. However you need 15 sales within a month for it to have an effect.

You might be able to ask your question, if there is a script that can do what you want : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/adwords-scripts

Personal feedback : I have never heard or seen anyone wanting to bid like you, so why would you not want to use target roas? Maybe I'm missing what your intentions are. As in the end it's all about return of investment, by changing the max cpc based on returns would be a better option.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your respons Emmanuel F. I will check out that group!

You are right about me having to consider target ROAS. For one of our target countries we have deployed this strategy since yesterday. It says that Google is currently 'learning'. Im very curious about the results Smiley Happy Since we have 100's of products I hope we get enough sales data on each individual product for it to work effectively. Somehow just setting a target roas felt too 'easy' for me, haha.

You got me thinking, however, that maybe I need to reconsider my strategy. I could ofcourse also use target ROAS in my 3 different campaigns. For instance, when people use my brand's name, I could settle for less ROAS. 

Thanks for your thoughts and with kind regards,

Lutijn

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Emmanuel F, if a search term is excluded from a particular Campaign, and not in another, then of course that other Campaign is capable of bidding on that Keyword.  My reply is talking about products, not search terms, and as such is entirely correct, as detailed by the AdWords Help page I linked to.

Jon

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Thank for the clarification, @Joost M, given that clarification, I'd go back to my original solution - to use a script to adjust bids accordingly.  With appropriate coding, the script could give Campaigns 2 and 3 the ability to respond to performance, but also ensure that the bids for 2 are never less than 3, and 1 never less than 2 (and by an adjustable margin).  So, for example, a product in (2) could have its bids reduced to improve ROAS, but an "override" in the script could ensure that the bid was never lower than the bid for that product in (3) + 25%, but could also be allowed to increase its bids if supported by performance data, if its bids were increased, the script could increase the bid for that product in (1) accordingly.

It's still not perfect, as you realise, because the bids in (1) could end up being higher than they need to be, although of course you never pay more than necessary for each click and, if this is your "best" match, then you probably do want the bids to be high.

It'd be an interesting project...

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Jon and Emmanuel. For now, i will keep track of things manually, as I am not one bit familiar with Adwords scripts Smiley Wink At least I know that something like this is possible!

Thanks again and with kind regards,

Lutijn de Kruijff