not all products from feed displaying in google merchant
Hello - need some advice on what to do next. I use a scheduled feed to submit my products to Google Merchant. I recently added some new products, I can see where the total number of products going to Google Merchant increased when I added these products, but I cannot locate them anywhere in Google Merchant, thus clearly I cannot add them to my current campaign in Google Shopping. These products appear to set up correctly (and the same) as all of my other products, I have confirmed they are in my feed and I have no errors with my feeds in Google Merchant. This is really odd and I have never had this happen before. I cannot seem to find anything on it either. Is there something I should check? Maybe something obvious I am totally missing? Thanks, Susan
Re: not all products from feed displaying in google merchant[ Edited ]
June 2014 - last edited June 2014
new items may take 24-72 hours or so to surface.
generally, check the quality-tab 72-hours or so after the feed re-upload --
in addition to any feed processing issues seen within the data-feeds tab.
also, be certain the new items are not reusing any id values
of deleted items or other target-country feeds -- id values
must be unique per item and can never change.
also, if the new items are variants be certain proper
item_group_id and variant attributes are submitted
for all items in each variant group.
also, try an id search within the merchant-center
account under the products-tab to check status
of individual items -- especially for a review and
to verify individual attribute information.
also, if a data-feed file is being used, try downloading
a copy of the data google sees, under the data-feed's
feed-status-summary report using the feed download
link -- compare that file to the external feed file data.
Re: not all products from feed displaying in google merchant