AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

how do I search for my product category without physically looking through the taxonomy doc?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So if I go to google search and type in "gym equipment wipes" it shows me a bunch of products from different vendors in the shopping tab. How do I find out what the product category from the search I just did is? I see off to the left under categories it has some check boxes such as "household disinfectants" but that isn't a category path in taxonomy.

basically what I'm asking for is how do i search the taxonomy document. if I were to type in "door mats" and got a result like this "Home & Garden > Decor > Door Mats"

how do I search for my product category without physically looking through the taxonomy doc?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see I can do a search in the excel document but i would like to see what the search I do in google turns up in case its name I wouldn't of though of.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Google makes the product taxonomy downloadable in spreadsheet format, then you can use CTRL-F or search to find terms you are looking for (this link will get you to the download):

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324436

Also if you navigate it using hierarchy manually, it is pretty easy to find things. 

the Google taxonomy is somewhat lacking, so often you will have to make judgement calls about how to categorize things.  But it is required to categorize things, for a Shopping campaign. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ya I did a search in the excel document, i just wanted to see what the category that is showing up in the google search is in case it's a name/word I wouldn't of thought of.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I just walk through the category tree manually, making sure I am making the right decision at each level in the tree.  It's not that deep of hierarchy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

so when i search the excel document "gym wipes" shows up under 

Sporting Goods > Exercise & Fitness > Yoga & Pilates > gym wipes

I'm not sure this is correct. its more of a cleaner or hand towel than a sporting good. What confuses me is googles main job is a search engine I should be able to see what the category its going to pull up just by doing a google search then it would be exactly what I want.

I might not be explaining the properly.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gym+equipment+wipes&tbm...

this is the exact category I want the product to show up under but i have no idea what it is, it would be nice if google just listed the category tree for me.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah if you don't intend to market it to the fitness market, that is likely the wrong category. 

You should be able to find a spot in the existing categories to park a hand cleaner or towel.  The category is likely to be more broad than you would like, their taxonomy is like that: too broad in many areas, too narrow in some others; it is inconsistent.  But we have to work within what they have, for now.  I am sure there is a reason it is setup this way; perhaps alignment with the international hierarchy for UPC/GTIN codes.  Google doesn't do anything by accident. 

hth

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for your reply.

I guess this is more of just a complaint then looking for an answer.

If I list it under Sporting Goods > Exercise & Fitness > Yoga & Pilates > gym wipes

and run my ad and when I type in "Gym wipes" and I don't see my ad anywhere i'll know I put it in the wrong category or maybe something else is wrong. If google just showed me the product category when I did a search for "gym wipes" before I made the ad it would save me a bunch of time.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Campaigns don't work that way, you don't just put something in and then type a search term and see it pop up.  

This is a good complaint department!  We handle them all the time.  Of course, keep in mind we are volunteers and don't work for GoogleSmiley Happy

Campaigns are metered out based upon your budget, how you rank, geography and other factors including past advertising history. And it takes some campaigns a while to ramp up. You are better served to rely upon the statistics provided by Google on impressions, clicks, conversions and other kpi's.