AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

google_product_type does not use the right delimiter

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The documentation for adwords states that  google_product_type is my  company's way to categorize my products. And it goes on to state that the  ">" symbol must be used to separate these categories ... for example ... Home & Garden > Kitchen & Dining > Kitchen Appliances > Refrigerators. 

I cannot get the ">" delimiter to work ... however, a dash (-) works just fine. Has anyone else seen this?

I'm using product_type to separate products in a google shopping campaign.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Donnie C
September 2015

Re: google_product_type does not use the right delimiter

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I think you are not using it correctly in Adwords.

Product Type and Category are Hierarchy based, which means that you have to always start with the parent, or a combination of custom labels and than child product types.

So in your case you first have to add Safety than First Aid than First AId Kits

Not load everything in Safety > First Aid > First Aid Kits. It does not work like that.

If you want to jump strait into first aid kits ether rewrite the product type to be first aid kits or use custom labels to define first aid kits.

You can search in google for some great articles under google shopping subdivisions

I hope this resolves your issue.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Donnie,

When you upload the feed to GMC, what error does it give you when you use the arrow?

Also, how are you creating your feed?

Thank you.
Alex

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
You make need to escape the character and convert it to html entity.
Try to use

>

But as Alexander says what errors are you getting?
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hmmm ... I'm actually not getting an error from GMC ... but that begs that question of what that data looks like once it's been uploaded. I'll have to test this to see what the ">" looks like once its been uploaded.
The feed is being created in Volusion ... output is XML.
The interesting thing is that the "-" works. I tried it again in the last 24 hours.
I updated about 80 products in my store with "Safety > First Aid > First Aid Kits"
I then go to Adwords -> Google Shopping ... and my "product group".
I then click on "All Products " to subdivide my products by product type
I add the value manually "Safety > First Aid > First Aid Kits"
And it shows that 0 products are in that product type.
If I change my Volusion data back to "Safety - First Aid - First Aid Kits" ... this process works and the result is that I have 80 products subdivided.
Am I looking at this wrong? I just thought I should be using a ">" instead of a "-" ... but the "-" works.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Donnie C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I think you are not using it correctly in Adwords.

Product Type and Category are Hierarchy based, which means that you have to always start with the parent, or a combination of custom labels and than child product types.

So in your case you first have to add Safety than First Aid than First AId Kits

Not load everything in Safety > First Aid > First Aid Kits. It does not work like that.

If you want to jump strait into first aid kits ether rewrite the product type to be first aid kits or use custom labels to define first aid kits.

You can search in google for some great articles under google shopping subdivisions

I hope this resolves your issue.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
holy cow ... how did I miss that. So GMC is just treating the "-" as part of the string and there's no granularity in "Safety - First Aid - First Aid Kits".
I've gone back into adwords product group and added product_type "safety" and then "first aid" ... etc. etc. .... beautiful. I must have missed a video that explained that. Smiley Happy
Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Not a problem, glad I could help.

Have a great weekend.