AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

google mechant centre disapproved products

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, hope someone can help, Our data feed is uploaded once a week automatically and all was fine on the 5th april on the last upload, however I've noticed from the 9th of april that we have a number of products being diisapproved and this is rising. The only data warnings I have are for google product category which isn't enough for them to be disapproved, the google product category issues only seems to affect 8 products, however it seems 24 and rising are disapproved. Does anyone know how I find out why these products would have been disapproved? there are no critical warnings or errors so I 'm a bit stuck trying to rectify a problem when I don't which items are affected and the reasons why?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: google mechant centre disapproved products

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well this is the problem, there are no warnings, no errors, just 24 disapproved in our products dashboard, surely if google had disapproved products it would give you a reason for it, wouldn't be so bad if you could ring them and talk to them.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

a google-adwords representative from
the google-ads-team may be called here --
http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1385067
http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206

when contacting adwords, be certain to emphasize

that the question is about "product listing ads".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes thanks for that, I spoke to google adwords and they told me it's to do with No product images for the 24 disapproved products,
so I checked the feed which displays the image URL, I copied the image url into firefox and it displays fine, the last feed was uploaded on the 5th april and the image issue started on the 9th april, last night I uploaded a more current feed but it's still showing disapproved for those 24 products so not sure if last nights feed will take time to display properly on the dashboard but the images are present. so not sure...

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Matt,

Have you tried to run the URL through your webmasters tools as Google to see if they can retrieve the images in question?

Are the images of the product or placeholders? Do they include any promotional/branding text?

Has any changes been made to your robots.txt file in the past few days that could be affecting the crawling of the images? Likewise, has your website had any down time where the failure to crawl the images could have occurred?

Can you post an example image link here for us to test for you?

Lastly, you say the number has increased, how many items are actually present within the complete feed?

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, We've spoken to google support and they've suggested it's an issue with the robot.txt file and google crawling it and to stop this issue add a series of text to the .txt file, to stop google bot being blocked.
however this is not possible as the data feed is automatically uploaded and generated from our website, it's a scheduled upload.
The issue only occured this last 2-3 days and we've done nothing differently so I don't know why now google bot would be blocked all of a sudden
we've also spoken to the guys that host and are responsible for our website, they are suggesting it could be a google issue although they are looking at the text file but the image URL is present on the file and they currently cannot see any reason why this is happening, basically I'm running from pillar to post.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Matt

When Google say to add text to the .txt file, they are referring to the robots.txt file, not that of your .txt feed.

Robots.txt File Help

If you can gain access to the robots.txt file or have your hosting/web company make the modifications, then you can see if this is indeed the error. If not, you will be able to inform Google of the changes made and the fact the problem still exists after following their directions.

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

"issue with the robot.txt"
"but the image URL is present"

if the issue is with the robots.txt file then
adding the google-recommended entries
for (both) googlebot and googlebot-image
to the very end of the controlling robots.txt
and then resubmitting the feed and waiting
72-hours or so for a re-crawl, should be a
test that eliminates that possibility; those

robots.txt changes could be left until the

issue is fully resolved.

however, if the issue is (also) with images then
the server may not be able to keep pace with
all google's current crawl requests or the requests

have resulted in improper responses -- in those cases,
the number of images, size of images, image types,
and image details, could result in a robots message
at any time (especially with frequent feed updates);
since the server and network load could fluctuate
based on a variety of factors -- such as google's

crawl-rate and the server's load, at that moment.

as to images specially, all images are constantly inspected

for policy issues; what may have not been flagged in the past

may be flagged at any time since google constantly re-reviews

all data in the feed and on the website; be certain that all image

data meets all google's policies, can be properly crawled, and

the server responds properly and fast enough at all times --

especially given how often a feed is re-uploaded and the exact

image url's being submitted.

policy issues with images can sometimes result in a robots message.

having exact feed entries, exact messages,
or any other more exact information, that
is posted here in the public forum, may help
us to offer more specific suggestions to help
diagnose the issues.

otherwise, the best likely course would be
to continue working directly with google.