AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

capitalisation in shopping feed

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hoping to get some clarification from you shopping experts....

I have recently started work with a client who uses Shopify for their online store. I have no issues with exporting the feed - I've done this before - but this client has a lot of capitalisation in the product descriptions and I just wanted to know if this is likely to affect the approval/verification process... I know that Google is fussy in other areas about capitalisation.

I'd like to flag this to the client if it's going to be an issue. I'm hoping it will not affect things since there are a lot of descriptions that will have to be rewritten if it is!

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author stickleback
September 2015

Re: capitalisation in shopping feed

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steve,

I faced this last month while working on a client's account. He had at least two three words capitalized in the product description on the product page. I exported the feed and submitted to Merchant Center. All those words were being picked capitalized in the description field in the feed as well. And guess what? I got a lot of automatic disapprovals. Once I got them corrected they were approved. 

So yes, if you are not lucky enough on it, such words may be caught in the automatic disapproval. I am saying lucky because many products were approved and many disapproved. I was confused, but finally, I got them all updated.

Giving it a try would be better. If it goes through, well and goo, if not, you can't actually skip modifying those words. 

It's my own experience with it. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Thanks for sharing your experience - I suspected this might be the case. I'm also worried that even if they get approved the first time, subsequent feeds that we schedule might then get caught... I guess there's going to be no way other than going through the descriptions to remove the capitalisations.... that'll be a fun job for someone!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I have had similar issues with certain clients. A good solution is to use a standalone Google Shopping management app for Shopify. This allows you to have your data for google shopping different from your website. Allowing you to remove or rewrite the violated data but leave the data intact on the website.

Because sometimes the owner might want promotional text on the website, but can't have this on Google Shopping.

The APP that Shopify has built does not allow you to do this. While standalone apps do. Not a fix for removing the data on the fly. But great for editing independently.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Definitely something to look into - thanks for the reply!