AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Will a New Data Feed Reset My Google Shopping Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

Each time a new data feed is fetched by Merchant Center from our online inventory ie. once a month or manually, can this cause a running Google Shopping Campaign to 'reset?'

We have broken down our entire inventory based on produc
t category in Google Shopping and are just hoping that all the bidding, granular product breakdown, etc. is not compromised each time we update our inventory with Merchant Center. We are add a heap of new products to our website twice a year so figured it was worthy asking. 

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathan N
September 2015

Re: Will a New Data Feed Reset My Google Shopping Campaign

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Jonathan

As a basic rule, if you do not change the ID attribute, then no changes will be made in terms of items being replaced. 

For example, if your item has an ID has 123, so long as you never change this, all historical and otherwise values tied to this ID will remain the same. However, if you make price changes, description changes etc, these will simply overrride the current data of this ID, but no data will be lost. 

Now, say you upload a datafeed where the item that once held the ID of 123 changes to 234, however, all other attributes remain the same, the only change being the ID, this item will be read by Google as a brand new item within your feed and therefore will go under a review process. This will then lose all its historical and other data.

When you upload a feed with fresh items, then so long as these do not hold the same ID attribute value as an existing item, you will not make any changes to items already present in your shopping campaigns or datafeed itself.

So, to put it simply, always make sure your items retain the ID they first had on initial upload. 

Ensure new items have a unique ID when uploading.

If you stick to these two rules, then no damage should come to the items historical data.

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathan N
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Jonathan

As a basic rule, if you do not change the ID attribute, then no changes will be made in terms of items being replaced. 

For example, if your item has an ID has 123, so long as you never change this, all historical and otherwise values tied to this ID will remain the same. However, if you make price changes, description changes etc, these will simply overrride the current data of this ID, but no data will be lost. 

Now, say you upload a datafeed where the item that once held the ID of 123 changes to 234, however, all other attributes remain the same, the only change being the ID, this item will be read by Google as a brand new item within your feed and therefore will go under a review process. This will then lose all its historical and other data.

When you upload a feed with fresh items, then so long as these do not hold the same ID attribute value as an existing item, you will not make any changes to items already present in your shopping campaigns or datafeed itself.

So, to put it simply, always make sure your items retain the ID they first had on initial upload. 

Ensure new items have a unique ID when uploading.

If you stick to these two rules, then no damage should come to the items historical data.

Tom Wilson

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

That's great and makes total sense! Thanks a lot for your feedback!

- Jonathan Naab

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Thanks Jonathan,

Glad it made sense.

Good luck.

Tom Wilson

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm such a wolly... I changed the ID's and lost all of my stats... is there any way to revert back?