AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Will Adding Product Attributes to a Google Merchant Center Feed affect Existing Product IDs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

I am looking to append my existing Google Merchant Center feed with a few product attributes namely item_group_id, color, and GTIN (SKU). In short, will adding these new product attributes to an existing product feed affect the existing product listings? I've found that changing the product ID will force the product to be resubmitted as a new but I wasn't sure if the same would happen for other attributes. 

My client's spreadsheet originally did not have groupings (for variants) or an attribute to distinguish those variants (color attribute). They also just recently purchased GTINs (SKUs) for their products where they had originally been using MPN because they hadn't had a GTIN. 

For additional background info, my client is the manufacturer of this product and they have retailers too, whom I assume have access to their GTINs. From what I've read having GTINs will offer a better chance of collecting product ratings from other 3rd party vendors or review sites. ( I could be wrong but that would be the main reason why we'd want to update the listings with GTINs).

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Will Adding Product Attributes to a Google Merchant Center Feed affect Existing Product IDs?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Yes, and most likely in a positive way. When adding accurate attributes will increase the potential impressions.

Do not change the product ID, it will only have a negative effect.

When a manufacturer has bar codes, you are required to ad this value in the GTIN field. Which will also help in other areas of the advertising.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’