AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Why isnt product extensions listed in the drop down menu?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've tried quite afew things now to set up a Google Shopping campaign or Google Product Listing Ads and neither seem to be working for me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I know somethings not right because the message on the Products tab of my campaign says this:

There are no eligible products for Google Shopping in your linked Merchant Center accounts.

It says this message yet in the Google Merchant Center there is a list of products in the product tab with a green tick next to them saying 'Searchable'. Its as if the accounts aren't linked but they are, or atleast I think they are as the correct Adwords Customer ID is in the Settings section of Google Merchant Center.

I've seen afew articles about setting them up as product extensions but this doesn't seem to be working either as the 'Product Extensions' option doesn't appear in the drop down 'View' menu in ad extensions?

Can someone please help? I've step by step followed the tutorials online but theres clearly something I am missing?

Chloé

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why isnt product extensions listed in the drop down menu?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Chloe,

If you have successfully uploaded your DataFeed and are receiving the green tick to state they are seachable. So long as your account is linked with Adwords and you have set up your max CPC and daily budget, you should be running with your listings in Google Shopping.

I have experienced myself and within the forum both here and previously in the Merchant Center forum of it taking a few days for the products to be eligible in Shopping Campaigns.

How long has it been since your uploaded feed was processed and available?

Within your Adwords dashboard, do you have a listing under your campaigns that says my product listing ad's?

If yes, are you receiving any impressions?

If not, please visit your merchant center account and click the adwords menu option located on the left hand side under settings and double check the AdWords ID matched that of the account you are using for the purpose.

You may also see a similar message to this -

Product Listing Ads campaigns created in Merchant Center are no longer listed here, these campaigns are now only editable in your AdWords account. Go to AdWords to manage this campaign.

This message contains a hyperlink to take you to the relevant account.

Please let me know the answers to these and I can try and assist you further.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your response Tom!

To be honest I've just deleted the product listing campaign and probably did this a little early because I panicked it wasn't working and I wanted to concentrate on the Shopping Campaign side of things as I noticed that was recommended more.

The products in Google Merchant Center only got the green tick today so does it sometimes take time for them to appear in the Products section of my campaign in Adwords?
I've literally just noticed I've got 3 impressions so it does seem strange that my products aren't eligible yet they must be if they are showing impressions right?

Maybe I just need to give them time? Do you recommend I re-set up the Product Listing Ads as well as Shopping Campaign or just leave it with one?

Chloé

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Chloe,

You're welcome,

If your feed only went, "published and searchable" today then yes, I think you did what a lot of people do and you shouldn't feel bad in the slightest about, you deleted too soon.

Patience is really needed to a certain extent when setting up Shopping Campaigns and PLA's but once done, relatively simple to maintain.

Shopping Campaigns over PLA's is a personal choice and will be down to how you feel you are happiest.

If you are just setting up, then I would suggest, and this is simply that of my own opinion, you re-establish your PLA's for now, let them run, gain impressions and in a few days, possibly a weeks time, when your items should be eligible, you start looking into branching out into Shopping Campaigns. This will allow you to gain some insight into the workings, do some research, pick our brains here and also with the PLA Campaign, you can see the sort of budget you are using, the return on investment etc.

Don't feel rushed to complete everything at once, PLA's are a great place to start and will get your items exposure. We are always here on the forum to offer assistance every step of the way, so just reach out to us and we will help where we can.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay I have created a new Product Listing Campaign, I think the thing that concerns me with it is its so unlike the normal adwords, in that you don't write a proper advert, don't use keywords and there isn't a list of all my products like I thought there'd be. But is that perfectly normal?

Chloé

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Chloe

Yes, that is right. The ad's are each of your individual items and will show in a position based on bid along with relevancy to the search term.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

"don't use keywords"
yes, as was already indicated, product-listing-ads use submitted
(feed) data -- not keywords -- to help determine quality (relevance).

"as if the accounts aren't linked" ... "there isn't a list of all my products"
(feed) data can sometimes take 24-72 hours or so before surfacing in adwords --
the reporting granularity is also based on the type of campaign and settings.

a regular-product-listing-ad-campaign requires product-targets
to group and then show specific product performance-data --
auto-tagging and analytics can also help in this regard.

whereas, with a product-listing-ad shopping-campaign the individual
product performance-data is mainly built-in to the reporting features --
regardless of how the campaign is organized.

details should be here --
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454022
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456103
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3455481
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752125