AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Why are my images & product description being used?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The screen shot below is taken from a search query around 'Broste nordic sea espresso mug' - this is a type of mug I sell on my website Feather & Marble.

The screen shot shows images that I've personally taken (the manufacturer supplied images were not great quality), the product description is also taken from my website. Google then suggests that this product is available from a competitor website.

Why is Google using my images & description to promote a competitor within Google Shopping?

They've probably tucked the answer away within their terms & conditions - but it doesn't really reward people who create original 'unqiue' content. This approach appears to only reward firms who permanently have Google Products active.

Going forward we will start including our brand term frequently within product descriptions & add watermarks to all images - even if this makes our own Google Shopping feed ineligible. Google Shopping is not a key revenue channel for us.

Link to screen shot view > here

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 15.03.50.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

1) You can not water mark images

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324350?hl=en&ref_topic=6324338

2) Google might use your images in grouped sections, it will represent yourself and the grouped merchants. A grouping is done when the same product is detected. This is very common 

If you are listed by yourself, only you will show your image.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

1) You can not water mark images

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324350?hl=en&ref_topic=6324338

2) Google might use your images in grouped sections, it will represent yourself and the grouped merchants. A grouping is done when the same product is detected. This is very common 

If you are listed by yourself, only you will show your image.

Hope it helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem is I'm currently not running Google Shopping (turned off 2 months ago) & therefore I'm not being represented but my images are still appearing alongside other merchants - which would lead the consumers to assume those images come from those 'other merchants'.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Than it seems like someone else has downloaded your images and is using it in there own feed. I recommend you contact the merchant directly to kindly ask them not to use your images. I want to emphasize that this must be done before taking any serious action. As Google like's to see you do an effort to contact the merchant first before creating a complaint.

If they do not want to remove the images and you have a copyright on the images, than take legal action.

If you have all the proof of documentation and copyright information, and can show Google you have tried contacting them, you might also contact Google by reporting a violation : https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/policy?hl=en&p=shop

However I'm unsure if you will be successful, but its worth doing.

My suggestion is to contact them first, if all fails take legal action.

Hope it helps.