AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Why are Shopping Campaigns Performing Worse than PLA's?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If google shopping campaigns are supposedly being touted as better, why do my PLA's convert significantly higher (and more frequent) across 5 different properties?

Anyone else having this issue?

And yes.  I am using product labels and my product groups are very specific.  Based on my PLA's all being on 1 bid.  (all Products)  And it is the exact same feed.

Re: Why are Shopping Campaigns Performing Worse than PLA's?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I had a pla campaign running for over a year and was recently contacted by an Adwords rep to help me switch it over to a shopping campaign, which we did.

After a month now the cost per sale as a shopping campaign is almost double what the pla campaign was. We have also had around 70 conversions vs 120 for the pla month before.

I had assumed it will sort itself out, I cant believe Google would change it that much?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Celebird,

Yes as you note some of my products have been dissaproved in the feed. To be honest I would say comparing months of data, to a few weeks may not be accurate.. I will report back here at a later date with more results... however to be honest if Shopping campaigns are performing much worst than PLA I would imagine this forum will be awash with it pretty soon...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am using all of the labels and have products broken down on a EXTREMELY Granular level. (Which is great). And the PLA's are all on one bid. Very perplexed on why the performance still lacks so much. And yes. I have been in contact with 7 different reps. (Different rep for every site I manage). 0 out of the 7 have any suggestions on why.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Be careful Phillip! My campaigns tripled in cost with the new shopping campaigns with the extreme drop in conversions to boot. That's why I'm here posting about it. Hopefully someone has some insight.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The old (better performing) PLA's are all one bid. The new shopping campaigns are super granular. As stated. Multiple strategies. Most used is cost per conversion. And conversion value / cost ratios. Broken down on product type > brand > and further.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have just got off the phone from a Google rep...her solution to my poor performing shopping campaign was to turn on site extensions on a campaign that has got 2 clicks in the last month and is no way related to pla. If I could get my costs down on other campaigns it wouldn't matter that shopping was a damp squid...to be honest I was not impressed with the advice.

On a serious note... I asked if I can turn off the shopping campaign and turn the PLA back on and she said no, and also it is being enforced in 2 weeks....

Could we have dropped one so to speak, by being early converters to shopping? Other competitors still on pla, will have better historical quality data from the last few years, and our shopping campaigns are up against them with no historical data. Maybe when everyone is forced to shopping, we will have a head start on the late converters?

My cost per conversion since switching to shopping is £7.97 per conversion vs £5.12 for PLA for the last 3 months. Conversion rate is also around 25% down. I have had some product ads dissaproved recently, and been working to get them re-approved, but somehow this has meant that I am getting lots more clicks from the product ads, and higher costs... go figure that one.

Year after year Google adwords seems to get less cost effective to me. Costs seem to go up and up...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hopefully someone can give us some insight on this issue. Once everyone is 'forced' to convert it's going to be a madhouse.

It's also peculiar that all of Celebird's posts have been removed from this thread.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
We spend £40,000 to £50,000 a month with Google, 75% of that on old PLAs. Now we have switched to Shopping Campaigns, our conversions are down and the costs are up. I haven't even bothered contacting Google as they are almost always useless.

If things don't improve, I will spend those thousands somewhere else.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've also experienced the same. PLA was a viable source of revenue for us. I used to hover at about 3% conversion rate (very good for us) and since switching to the new shopping campaigns 8/1 I am at 1.9%. This has been a pretty horrible experience so far. Most other metrics are the same...about the same traffic. I'm just spending more and more $ now.