AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Where can I add a promotional text

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have  a question on how to use promotion offer that are not Special offer using coupon etc

Basically, I am managing a feed where the offer is "Start a Free 30 days trial and Get one Free Audiobook"

I am just wondering what is the best way to highlight this promotional text in Google Shopping ?

I am not sure if it will work as a promotion in MC and show as a Special offer?

As there is not start/end date or coupon...it is basically available to anyone signing for the free trial

We used to have the promotional text in Adwords, but this option is no longer available

I was then thinking to insert it in the description?

I really don't know what is the best practice in that case

That would be really good for the merchant to highlight the offer

Thanks in advance,

Adel

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Adel,

Great question!

You're correct that Google removed the option that let you add promotion text as an "ad" in Google Shopping campaigns.

You will NOT want to add promotional text to your product titles and descriptions in your feed, as that is against Google's policies.

Google has a program called Merchant Promotions which lets you highlight specific promotions in your Shopping ads.

Here's the Merchant Promotions Getting Started Guide: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/4588748?hl=en

I hope that helps!

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John

Thank you for your reply

I am just worried that this promotion might be rejected as in their Promotion policy, Google mention that:

We also do not allow promotions for products or services that are normally offered for free, offers that are sweepstakes, or offers which include text only meant to advertise the product without a discount. (https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2877565?hl=en&ref_topic=2877465)

From my understanding, Google automatically displays this kind of promotional offer, like Free Shipping and it looks like we have apparently no control over it

So the question is how to get Google to show that this Merchant is offering a Free 30 days Trial instead of Free Shipping

The merchant sells Audiobook only, so users get the audiobook by downloading it, so it that case there won't be any shipping anyway. However showing that they receive a free audiobook if they start a new free 30 days trial would be much more interesting for both the users and the Merchant  

Thanks in advance,

Adel

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Adel,

Yes, you'll probably have difficulty getting Google to accept that specific promotion, because of the reasons you outlined.

Regrettably I'm not aware of any other way within Google's policies to proactively communicate that offer in your Shopping campaign.

If anybody else knows of a way, I'd love to hear! Smiley Happy

Best,

John

Re: Where can I add a promotional text

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

for shopping-ads, trial-offers are simply not allowed, in any form.

promotions are expressly forbidden from any submitted data --
and is otherwise grounds for disapproval or suspension from
the program, at any time.

submitted (feed) data is for describing the
characteristics of the item-offer being sold --
never for promotional or store information.

promotions are allowed within the promotions-program for
shopping-ads; however, trials are expressly forbidden and
are grounds for disapproval or suspension, at any time.

as an aside, shipping and sale promotions may automatically be displayed by
google, at google's discretion, based on the standard sale_price or shipping
attributes submitted or set within account-settings, with no additional details

required; a shipping amount is required for all items submitted, even if zero