AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

What to do if all products do not have MPN or GTIN?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, I am new in Google Shopping.

The company I work for is a reseller of furnishings products. We have an e-commerce website and we are advertising through AdWords. We want to start advertising through Google Shopping but we have encountered some problems I'd like to ask help for.

The company headquarters is out of USA and our supplier do not have  a GTIN or mpn for our products. Should I list all my products as ‘identifier exists’ to 'FALSE' ? is there a limit of products that can be listed as such?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What to do if all products do not have MPN or GTIN?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Yes you have to use ‘identifier exists’ to 'FALSE' and there is no limit of number of products.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you.
I am just concerned because I read that if one abuse of this identifier could result in ban of the feed.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If you don't have GTIN or MPN then setting ‘identifier exists’ to 'FALSE' is the only option you have, and it is the correct one.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

A (short term) solution for items that do not have GTIN (UPC) or MPN (SKU) is to use false MPN.
I do this for thousands of products on new feeds until I get the SKU loaded to match the product id.
I create common identifiers with unique MPN values for each item id.

Items that are mass produced should have a MPN value. Items that are unique, one of a kind should use a FALSE identifier. Use at your discretion.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
If you are the the only retailer, there is probably no harm in making up an MPN.

However, if there are multiple retailers selling the same product but showing different MPNs, that could be problematic.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Please do not use fake data as some suggest.

MPN and GTIN has to be 100% accurate.

In your case you need to submit identifier is false if the manufacturer does not have any bar codes on the products.

More info below
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160161?hl=en
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
we do have SKU, but this is a code reseller use for stock products, it's not a manufacturer's code. Can I use SKU as replacement for MPN in Google Shopping?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
If the SKU is the MPN than yes.

MPN is the Manufacturer Product Number, most of the times this is the product purchase number. But you need to contact the manufacturer what this code is.

Asking community members will not give you the correct answer, the manufacturer can however answer your question.

All you need to do is assign the correct Brand and MPN, however in most cases you will need to assign a GTIN too. Which is why assign identifier exists to false is the best option.

Simple rule.

Has the manufacturer assign a GTIN or MPN, if the answer is no. than Identifier exists must be set to false.

More info below
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160161?hl=en

hope it helps
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’