AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Upcoming UPC requirement even if I already have the MPN and Brand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google is going to require the UPC code in the very near future on certain items now, even though I already provide the MPN and Brand

However there is an issue - it's actually an old issue google NEVER addressed - that applied to Brand + MPN, now it applies to the UPC code too.

Example:

Manufacturer sells an assortment of 12 breeds of dog ornaments.  They are hang tagged to be sold individually by the manufacturer.

Because I have different pages for different breeds of dogs (plus people search by breed of dog) I have each breed on it's on page (url).

Example of multipe ID#'s under the warnings in the google shopping feed errors

Brand = Roman  MPN = 28005  comes assorted 12 breeds - all have the same UPC - but google wants a UPC code but not the same UPC code as on another url

ID#1  Brand: Roman --- MPN: 28005-Poodle --  url:  mystore.com/dogs/poodle

ID#2  Brand: Roman --- MPN: 20885-Rottweiler - url:  mystore.com/dogs/rottweiler

etc.

So how do I make the new UPC requirement OR request that this ID is exempt from this requirement.

I have about 300 items that fall into this type of issue on the error listing.  Some are multiple items with the same upc code, but on top of being on separate pages (for search results & inventory control reasons) also have different retail prices - which requires them to be on separate listings by itself.

I would really hope Google finally addresses this issue - they keep assuming all manufacturer assortments fit on the same url page - just color etc but about 30% of assortments in the gift industry are meant to make it easier for smaller companies to purchase from their company (as us, we can afford to buy an assortment of sports balls ornaments - better than we can afford to purchase 12 - volleyballs, 12-baseballs, 12-golf balls) - and anyone would advise to place the items on different pages for better search results.  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Upcoming UPC requirement even if I already have the MPN and Brand

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Celebird, this is basically the same answer you gave years ago when the 2 of 3 Brand, MPN, UPC was required.  It still does not answer the question nor provide a solution.  Please do not respond to my posts, the same request I made years ago before I left this forum for the same reasons.

This does not fit the "variant" because the difference is more than simple size, material, color, pattern -

The problem is this is a real issue that google failed to address years ago when they started to require 2 of 3 identifiers. Now the UPC requirement coming in May makes the issue is even more in need of a response from google.

The problem is that google DOES NOT offer an exception nor a way to submit items under these items under these circumstances because google only offers a solution for more than 1 upc for a brand + mpn but DOES NOT offer a solution for multiple products containing the same brand + mpm + upc.

Google needs to offer a resolution to this issue - you can quote google policy 1,000 times - it will not resolve the issue.  Google needs to resolve the issue.

Almost every company which sells gifts purchases many items in assortments which vary by far more than color, texture, size etc.  Intended to be sold individually but all tagged with the same UPC code and all assigned the same mpn.   Google needs to provide a policy for these situations.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Celebirds response -
multiple products containing the same brand, mpn, and gtin, usually
cannot be submitted, unless they are valid variants and are different
physical inventory items, that meet the variant rules and policies --
at least for product-listing-ads.

THAT IS EXACTLY THE PROBLEM - the variants allowed are only for the same items in a different color, size etc.

When a football, golf ball, tennis ball ornament all have the same brand + mpn + upc code there is no "variant" for "shape". Same issue when 12 different dog breed ornaments have the same brand + mpn + upc - there are no variant options for this situation. When the mfr sells an assortment of items (sleigh, santa, snowman, teddy bear, etc) ornaments all with the same hang tag - google does not provide an option for this situation. My only way to submit these within googles policy is to only have these items on the same page and offer an option to select the item they want - which is a bad solution as it's bad for search results and bad for inventory control.

I tried support - I got a generic answer like yours - because they too never read the question - which is why the response absolutely does NOT resolve the issue..

I am hoping google might read the forum and find a solution - it's been years in need of a solution which meets google policy requirements. A large number of store owners communicated outside the forums years ago to find a way to stay in google shopping with this issue when it was just the mpn - many decided google does not want to work with them and left google shopping. That's not a solution either.

Manufacturers selling to retailers in bulk assorted items that typically would not be displayed on the same page/url is a common practice in the gift industry. Google needs to acknowledge this and provide a policy for submitting such items.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello, here is my personal response to try and help you understand why things are a bit difficult with what you want.

First lets understand why GTIN is required, Google is trying to avoid counterfeit products, have accurate information etc... By doing this they force unique GTIN per product.

The second issue is that the manufacturer has to create a new GTIN per product and not use the same one. This is not yours or Google's fault, but the manufacturer.

Third check if the barcode you are using is effectively on the variant product packaging, if it's not there you can simply use Identifier exists to False which allows you to avoid the gtin, mpn and brand. This will fix all your frustrations.

Do note that Google reads these forums but might or might not react, if they have not implemented your request there must be a reason, for example the majority of manufacturers have unique GTIN. Or there are not many merchants that have your issue. Not because there is 1 merchant having a particular issue that they are going to change the whole system for 1 merchant.

If you are in the gift industry and you bundle products together, you need to supply the gtin of the main product. This is just an aside as you mentioned gift industry and some merchants have bundles.

Regardless of what I say or others, Google's policies are there for you to follow, if you can not follow the rules than the only thing you can do is send an email feedback to Google explaining your situation. No need to get aggravated on a forum. As the forum is mostly compiled by average Joe's and not Google employees. As mentioned before they just look through the threads but might or might not take action.

I am merely a community member and what I say does not reflect anyone other than my own opinion or facts.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not bundling them - stop answering the question because you are only making things worse.

I am taking items that are sold to ME assorted and selling them individually and the individual items are on their own page. It's common practice in the gift industry. I tried your answer weeks ago - it does not work. I have warnings that say I have until May 23rd to fix it or my account may be suspended - it can't be ignored.

STOP ANSWERING MY POSTS - YOU ARE THE REASON I LEFT THIS FORUM BEFORE YEARS AGO. Please just stop -

Let the last line be my request for GOOGLE to update their policies for these situations when manufacturer sells to retailer assorted in bulk and the retailer sells the items individually. It's the exact opposite of bundles.