AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Unknown 'google product category' value - Help Please

R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

First time I have posted on this forum because to be honest as a business, we have never had a problem with our shopping feeds until now and being a Saturday morning (in the UK) I have no where else to turn.

We have recently launched a brand new website which is a propriety site developed by a UK Company. The Feed is submitted via an API whilst the previous site we manually submitted our feeds.

From day one with this new site we have had issues with the feed. Mostly with Unknown 'google product category' value errors. The data we supplied the developer is the same data (including google product categories) that we had no problems with the previous site with. However getting this data into their Content Management seemed to be beyond their wit. Somehow for about a week they appeared to have solved it and we were up and running.

However the feed automatically submitted on the evening of October 22nd was suddenly 100% disapproved because of Unknown 'google product category' values. Looking at the feed it appeared that this value had indeed disappreared.

So, because our old data contained a mixture of category breadcrumbs and category numbers we asked the developers to provide us with a field in the CMS for the google category number and we have in the last couple of days gone through all 3000+ SKU's and added the correct current google category number.

Bingo, we thought problem solved. Unfortunately we did not get all the work done until late Friday afternoon and by the time we realised that the latest feed was 100% disapproved again because of Unknown 'google product category' values the Company who supplied the site have all gone home to their families to spend the weekend chilling whilst we have no representation on Google Shopping for the 6th day in a row.

It is killing us slowly and I just cannot figure out what the problem is looking at the feed. Below is an example of one item taken from our feed:

<item>
<title>
<![CDATA[ HG Grout Cleaner Ready to Use 500ml ]]>
</title>
<description>
<![CDATA[
Bathroom or kitchen floor grout and the tile grout behind the sink have to deal with heavy usage.
]]>
</description>
<g:id>HG801</g:id>
<g:google_product_category>4981</g:google_product_category>
<g:brand>HG Hagesan</g:brand>
<g:condition>new</g:condition>
<g:shipping>
<g:country>GB</g:country>
<gSmiley Tonguerice>2.95</gSmiley Tonguerice>
</g:shipping>
<gSmiley Tonguerice>4.95</gSmiley Tonguerice>
<g:availability>in stock</g:availability>
<gSmiley Tongueroduct_type>Bathroom and Toilet Cleaning > Grout Cleaners</gSmiley Tongueroduct_type>
<g:gtin>8711577130664</g:gtin>
<g:quantity>5</g:quantity>
</item>

Can anyone spot anything? Given that this propriety software is used by their other customers and so I guess they should be no inherent issues.
<g:google_product_category>4981</g:google_product_category> looks the correct format for the category for me.

Is it the product type field that is the issue? Is this even necessary ? but if it is the issue then why is the message Unknown 'google product category' values!?

If there is anyone out there who has any suggestions I would love to hear from you. It would be nice to be able to get back to doing some business soon Smiley Frustrated

Thank you
Richard
1 Expert replyverified_user

Unknown &#39;google product category&#39; value - Help Please

R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not sure where those smiley faces have come from! but hopefully it does not detract from the way I have described the issue!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

As we have no account access finding the correct solution without in depth details is going to be hard.

The first suggestion I have is to use supplement feed, to overwrite the default feed category. What you need to do is have a spreadsheet with all the product id's than a column for the categories and add all the correct category id's or names. This is great if you have different categories.

more info : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/7439058?hl=en

The second suggestion is to use feed rules to set a category value for all products, if for example all products have the same category, you can than add the value 4981 to replace the default value.

more info : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6302307?hl=en

However do note, that if the products have not been approved yet, that there is not much benefit doing it now, as Google's Product review team do not work in the weekend. And it takes up to 5 working days to get it approved. Again as we have no account access, we would not be able to know if they have been approved or not.

I hope the above helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the response Emmanuel, much appreciated.

Does the fact that we have been using Google Shopping for years and prior to last Sunday we had 3000 products active mean that Approval is not relevant ?

I will try and do a supplementry feed as suggested but I can see a google category, correctly formatted (<g:google_product_category>4981</g:google_product_category>) for every product in the current feed as it stands.

Unfortunately we have 3000+ SKU's and we use 50+ Google Categories so a default value wouldn't work.

Thanks Again.

Richard

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

It might or might not be, as I have no access to your account I would not be able to know.

As the category you highlight is correct, make sure that the error is effectively the category and not something else, check your data feed for errors and diagnostics tab.

Products > Feed > Your feed

Products > Diagnostics

Products > list > click on a product, check the info provided. If the category is listed than this is not the issue.

Also note if you are using the diagnostics tab, the issues listed can be from the old feed, as warnings and errors stay in the account for up to 30 days regardless if you have resolved it or not. Again because we have no access to your account, the recommendations are based on the info you provide.

Also you say that for every product the line <g:google_product_category>4981</g:google_product_category> is added, but than you say you have 50 categories, so I assume you mean the attribute name rather than the attribute value.

The best likely course is to continue communicate with Google and your data feed management team. Following my recommendations might make things worse, if you are not 100% sure of the reason of the product disapproval.

Best of luck.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Emmanuel,

Yes I meant that the attribute name is correct the value is different depending on the product.

I think you are right, I am going to give up until Monday as I don't seem to be able to get anywhere.

Thanks for trying to help anyway :-)