AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Trying to understand my competitors' Google Shopping Campaign tactics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the geographical and niche market I am advertising in, I have one primary competitor who typically gets about 70% of the advertising places, with me taking the remainder.

What I've noticed however, is that whenever I experience slow or no-sales days, my competitor is consistently NOT running their shopping campaign on that day, and I'll be getting about 70% of the advertising places.

Does anyone have any idea as to the strategy that they might be employing?

Is it possible that they have some kind of daily target, and if they don't hit it by a certain time, then they just switch the campaign off for the day?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

There are a lot of experienced people here, however, without any statistical data, it is all speculation.

Ad scheduling can be set based on patterns that you might not know. For example, they might change it based on last years data.

Ads that disappear can be related to : 

Throttling

Ad Scheduling

Budget Limitations

Policy Violations

Out of Stock

etc...

The only way to find out is for you to analyze the competitor on all the possibilities.

Hope it helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

How a competitor has its settings, setup or strategy is not something you will find out, unless you ask them. There are no tools for you to know this.

Most likely they have analyzed that certain days in the week are less profitable and than enable ad scheduling to change there bidding strategy. Or if the client has too many orders, throttles it down to keep up with demand.

Hope it helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I know we obviously can't see exactly what someone else is doing, but I just thought people with more experience might have some insight into the observed behaviour.

Scheduling on specific days of the week I can understand, what has baffled me is that these are irregular days... there's no pattern. All I know is that on random days that I experience no sales, they seem to have anticipated or adapted to it because they are not showing on those days. Google scheduling doesn't seem to apply to this kind of practice.

They run Google Adwords campaigns continuously... only their Google Shopping Campaign appears to exhibit this variability.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

There are a lot of experienced people here, however, without any statistical data, it is all speculation.

Ad scheduling can be set based on patterns that you might not know. For example, they might change it based on last years data.

Ads that disappear can be related to : 

Throttling

Ad Scheduling

Budget Limitations

Policy Violations

Out of Stock

etc...

The only way to find out is for you to analyze the competitor on all the possibilities.

Hope it helps.