AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Shopping Campaign information in Google Analytics

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

A common question from advertiser is "how can I use Google Analytics to monitor my Shopping Campaign performance for my Product Listing Ads"?

Tracking your return on investment, especially from PLA's is really important. Alan, from the AdWords team, is here to tell us more! 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author KathleenG
September 2015

Re: Tracking Shopping Campaign information in Google Analytics

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

With the new Google Shopping campaign type, you will be able to use Google Analytics effectivly to track the performance of your Shopping Campaigns.

First of all, we would reccomend that you use auto-tagging to tag their Shopping Campaigns. Auto-tagging offers more detailed reporting in Google Analytics and this reporting will only be possible when using Auto Tagging and after you've linked your AdWords and Analytics accounts.

By navigating to Acquisition > AdWords > Campaigns you’ll be able to see the following information:

Campaign/AdGroup Performance

The Shopping campaign name and ad group name from AdWords will report in the “Campaign” / “Ad group” dimensions respectively in Google Analytics.

Product Groups Performance

The Product Group subdivision is reported as the “Keyword” in Google Analytics:

• An “All Products” group will report the keyword as an asterix symbol *

• Subdivision groups will report as {subdivision}=={value} (see image below)

• “Everything Else” under a given subdivision will report as {subdivision}==* (see image below)

If you are using promotion text, this will be reported as the “Ad Content” in Google Analytics reporting.

And finally, “Exact match” will report as the “Query Match Type” in Google Analytics.

As with any traditional AdWords campaign, you’ll be able to see the revenue figures associated with these reports if you are using ECommerce Tracking through Analytics.

Happy Analytics-ing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So how do we get the actual product name in either Google Analytics or Google AdWords? Is there any way to get that?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

I managed to get product name via AdWords API, SHOPPING_PERFORMANCE_REPORT.
And have you managed to get it via Analytics some way?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Rafal. Can you explain to me how to do that exactly. I would like to see which of my google shopping ads are getting the clicks... and if possible the impressions as well. thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Tom did you figure it out? thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Avrohom, I was never able to get the Product NAME. I was (and am) getting the Product ID which allows me to tie it back to the actual product ad. I just wanted to have the Product Name so that we wouldn't have to run an external table lookup to get a report by name. But your question looks like you just want to get down to the individual product listing level, and you can do that with the Product ID.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How do i do that with the product ID?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
These are the instructions I sent to my client for this back in August. Things may have changed since then--I'm not sure.

1. Go into Adwords under the appropriate account
2. Set the desired date range
3. Click on “All online campaigns” at the top-left
4. Click on the “Dimensions” tab (2nd-to-last tab at the top, between Auto Targets & Display Network)
5. Click the "View" button below the tabs (probably says ViewSmiley Very Happyay. If it says View: Shopping-Item ID, skip this and the next step)
6. From the drop-down, hover over "Shopping" and select "Item ID" from the sub-dropdown.
7. You can click the little down arrow in that same row of buttons (below the tabs) to download the full report (all 2900 products) into CSV or Excel format