AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Test account (owner by developer) accessing same site claimed by real merchant account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I need to give technical support during feed upload to a merchant having his own Google Merchant Account.

I will need to make some test uploads, see logs, make some attempts, and I don't want to use the same account with a test data feed. I don't want otherone' credentials.

I am asking if I can create my own developer account, registering the same site, and upload test data feed using my own account.

Once everything is Ok, production upload will be performed by the real site owner.

So can 2 Merchant accounts, access and claim the same website, meaning that one is the true account, the other is just for technical support (used by me)?

Thanks in advance

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eta E
February 2016

Re: Test account (owner by developer) accessing same site claimed by real merchant account

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

the short answer is no.

the verification and claim of a website url
can be done only by one, single account.

the merchant-center has no concept of
testing on a live site using another account.

alternatives include, being added as a user to
a live account and submitting only test-feeds
or using a multi-client-account with a test-feed
and ignoring any claim errors or simply carefully
hand-inspecting the data, etc.

otherwise, using a live website with a live feed that
violates the policies or a test website that violates
the policies risks a permanent suspension.

Re: Test account (owner by developer) accessing same site claimed by real merchant account

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Actually yes but with limitations.

You can create your own Merchant account but you have to claim your own website.
When you upload the test feed the only errors you will get and can ignore is that the website destination is not claimed under the account you are uploading the feed. This allows you to test for all other errors.
Do note you should only submit test feeds, never ever upload a live feed for this purpose. As your destination url's are different than the claimed url.

When you upload the test feeds there is no suspensions possibility, as long as you are doing test feeds.
Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
to the original question, can two merchant-accounts,
access and claim the same website, the answer is an
unequivocal no.

suggested alternatives to testing the data-feed --
such as ignoring the claim errors from another
account, were also mentioned.

however, currently, with respect to two merchant-accounts
claiming the same website there is no concept of yes but
with limitations -- if a second account attempts to verify
and claim the site, the first merchant-account will simply
lose the claim.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks everyone for answering.

I think being added as a user and submitting only test feed sounds the easier approach to start with.

thanks a lot again for help