AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Switching Dynamic Remarketing Setup from Analytics to Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently started setting up dynamic remarketing, and chose to set it up via Analytics. I ran into problems getting my custom parameters setup, and after following the advice in this thread I decided to change to the Adwords code.

When I setup my first campaign in Adwords, it seems to have tagged my entire Adwords account that I want to use Analytics for remarketing. Under audiences, tag checker it tells me "Your account has been set up to use the Google Analytics tracking code for remarketing."

It also has the automatically created remarketing lists e.g. Product viewers, shopping cart visitors, which it auto created in Analytics and imported. 

Since implementing the Adwords remarketing code, I've tested it on my site and it's passing the product ID, page type and value fine. To test I setup my own list with a rule "visitors matching condition: ecomm_pagetype equals product" and the list has started to fill up.

My question is, how do I re-create Googles automatic dynamic retargeting lists using Adwords? I've deleted the Analytics auto created lists from Analytics, but they remain in my Adwords account. When I go to create a new dynamic remarketing campaign, it now only shows my the "general visitors (system defind)" list. 

I want to get started with Google's default recommeneded lists. The tag checker under audiences also tells me "We haven't detected custom parameters for Retail", but the tag checker plugin on my site tells me requests are working, products are validated.

This is the site I'm installing on www.ecochic.com.au

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Switching Dynamic Remarketing Setup from Analytics to Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just found the instructions from the setup guide that refers to this:

"When you create your first ad group in your first dynamic remarketing campaign, by default, we'll add to your ad group these four remarketing lists that we created for you:
General visitors
Product viewers
Shopping cart abandoners
Past buyers"

So I'm trying to find out how to get these lists back and working now I'm using the Adwords dynamic remarketing tag.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

what is the more detailed message below "We haven't detected ..."?
typically, there are details such as google_conversion_label not set.

the default list is usually created during campaign set up;
conceivably, the four default lists could be hand-crafted.

has a person at google been contacted to look into the account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The full message is:

"The tag is active but we couldn't find any custom parameters.
Check that the remarketing tag is implemented correctly. Custom parameters are necessary to enable dynamic remarketing.
View tag implementation instructions
We didn't find the custom parameter "ecomm_prodid"
Your tag doesn't include the custom parameter "ecomm_prodid"."

But if I go to page: https://www.ecochic.com.au/ecochic/shop/Shop+by+Category/Homewares+%26+Decor/Decorative+Shell+Crosse...

And run tag checker, look under requests, it comes up with ecomm_prodid: 03239, which matches the merchant centre product ID.

Any idea where I could find instructions for manually setting up the four default lists? I've tried recreating a new remarketing campaign, but the default lists don't show up at all.

I want to get a clean default campaign setup before trying to create my own lists. Have not heard from Google.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

verify that the following instructions have been followed exactly --
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3122586

has the "All Visitors" ad-group been created?

also, is google-tag-manager being used to deploy the tags,

automatically on each page; or are the tags being deployed

on all pages via some homegrown implementation or similar?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yup All Visitors adgroup is created & working. Setting up dynamic remarketing campaign auto created a list called General visitors (system defined).

The manual list I created with the rule "visitors matching condition: ecomm_pagetype equals product" is also working, which makes it strange that it's giving me the "we haven't deteted custom parameters for retail" message.

I'm not using tag manager, I got my developers to implement the tags.

Pretty sure I followed everything on that page . The problem is I did this:

" When you create your first ad group in your first dynamic remarketing campaign, by default, we'll add to your ad group these four remarketing lists that we created for you"

And chose to setup with Analytics. Then I found out the analytics implementation was going to be more complicated, so went back and added the Adwords code.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

was the campaign created before or after the
analytics-tags were removed and the adwords
tags were added to all the pages?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I created the campaign, tried adding the analytics tag, & custom attributes but all I managed to add was the "ga('require', 'displayfeatures');" then I decided to add the adwords tag. It's currently running both.

So the Adwords tag seems to be working, and it also seems to be picking up my custom parameters. I just can't get the default lists to be created in Adwords.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

the best likely course is to wait for a person
at google to look directly into the account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your help anyway, is there anything I need to do to get someone from Google to look at this?