AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden Impression Spike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On Saturday 9/27 all of a sudden my impressions started to spike.  Since then they have been at about triple what they were all month.  Has anyone noticed this?  Any insight that someone can provide?  Daily budget remains about the same and bids on most targets are a bit lower than they were earlier in the month.

Re: Sudden Impression Spike

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hi Don,

Are there specific campaign types, keyword match types or keywords (groups) that are spiking? This might help us narrow it down a bit.

Also note that, starting "late september", all exact and phrase match keywords will automatically start matching close variants. See this Inside AdWords article for more information: http://adwords.blogspot.be/2014/08/close-variant-matching-for-all-exact.html

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is strictly in my Google Shopping campaign. There have been no noticed increases in any of our other AdWords campaigns.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
If you open up your campaign and segment by "network (with search partners)", do you see a significant difference in the impression distribution between before and after the 27th? (adsense for shopping now allows other e-commerce sites to show your shopping ads on their website if you opted in for "include search partners". See http://adwords.blogspot.be/2014/09/Extend-PLAs-to-qualified-shoppers.html)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ken

I am only on Google Search. I have Partners and Display off. Initially I thought that may be the case and a setting inadvertantly got changed but I'm still setup to be only on Search. Also, I appreciate the help. This is very strange.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In addition, this seems to have happened only on desktops, not on mobile.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Hi Don,

I'm a bit at a loss for a quick answer then, to be honest. Next thing I would do - but you might have done so already - is:

• to check all recent changes to the shopping campaign with the change history to see if any recent change might have caused this
  • to compare all segments, dimensions, statistics, auction insights with the previous period
  • to check your feed in the merchant center for any weird changes in products listed or approvals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again Ken. I'm going to keep digging and see what I can find. I actually had a call scheduled with my Google rep on Thursday so maybe she can provide some insight. Have a good one!

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Good idea, keep us up-to-date, I'm curious now ;-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Here's a question for you Ken. On Thursday night I launched a new "best sellers" product target. This product target has products that live in my other product targets as well but it bid higher than all the other product targets to give these products more visibility. Is it possible that when a product is shown that impressions are going to both product targets...it's regular home and in best sellers?