AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
For questions related to Google Shopping and Merchant Center. Learn to optimize your Shopping ads
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden Extreme Drop in Clicks and Impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Don't know why Google completely eliminated their email support, so I am posting this here.  I expect that no one will be able to find a solution since no one has access to my account (like Google did when they actually offered email support professionals).

Around May 10, my impressions and clicks on my Shopping campaign suddenly decreased by about 90%.  Looking at the change history, there's nothing I see that should have caused such a massive drop.  I did re-upload my two main products featured in my campaign at around this time, but they were essentially the same as they were before the drop in impressions/clicks.  I did not change the price of the products, details, number of products in the campaign, or anything else of import from what I can see.  I have included a screenshot of recent performance for these products for reference so illustrate the drastic change.

image.png

I would appreciate any assistance in resolving this performance issue.

Thank you in advance.

-Chris

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

All kinds of support is available and the available options changes depending on the time and day. You can also call them directly here : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7218750

Looking at your info, it looks like there has been a big change in your data feed, and most likely the product id's have changed. When you change a product ID, all historic data and ranking will be removed and you basically start from scratch.

You can confirm my conclusions in two ways :

1) Compare the data feed before and after the change

2) Segment your ad group #1 down to segments and into item id's, and then look at the data. If the majority of your data is listed in everything else and in everything else there are no product, then this confirms the product id's have changed.

Hope this helps.

Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Shopping Feed Tips From FeedArmy
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Emmanuel, your are correct in your observation that my IDs have changed. However, I don’t see how this explains the drop in impressions/clicks.

I use Shopify for my econmerce site. Before May 10, I was advertising for two products. Then, at this time, I changed the two products very slightly. What I did was remove a product variant. Essentially, you can think of it this way, before May 10, I sold my two products in various colors. Then, I removed one color variant as it wasn’t selling well. So I made the change such that after May 10, this color variant was no longer available. I then re-uploaded my product feed. This did indeed change the product IDs.

However, I am still advertising the same base products. The only difference is that they have one less color variant, which changed the product ID as you’ve observed. How would this simple change lead to a drop in impressions/clicks by 90%? It doesn’t make sense. Keep in mind I changed nothing else about these products. That is, they are still the same price, have the same descriptions, have the same bid, etc. So, what you have observed as a “big change” in my data feed was actually a very simple change of removing a product variant. All other variables are the same. Can this really explain such a drastic drop in performance?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As was indicated earlier, if the product ID changes, you start from the beginning again. Which removes all historic data and ranking. So your current product ranking is non-existing. In Google's eyes, a different ID means a different product. Regardless of them being variants, if the ID changes, they are new products. It is recommended to never change the ID in any circumstances.

The only thing you can do is to increase the bidding and start building up your ranking again and you will then get more and more impressions.

Hope this helps.

Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please click on ‘Accept As Solution’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see. So I can expect the impressions/clicks to return to “normal” after my product ranks improve and this is just a matter of time and increased bidding?

Also, is there way to keep the same item ID for a product (and all history)  if I were to change variants in the future, or does that automatically change to something different regardless of how small the change is to the product?

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

1) not really, you will need to improve your data feed quality, improve bidding, etc... to get your impressions and ranking higher.

2) A variant is a new unique product, not because it changed from blue to yellow means you can expect the same results.

3) When changing a variant you will expect the same effect and you will always need to create a new id for each new unique product.

I think the confusion you have is the assumption that a particular t-shirt in 20 different colors are all the same, they are in fact 20 unique products.

Hope this helps.